Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theres something about Hurley...

5 posters

Go down

Theres something about Hurley... Empty Theres something about Hurley...

Post by JimReaper Sun May 18, 2008 7:23 am

I've noticed that Hurley has been more central to the action this season and judging by some of the things that have happened, I get the impression that Hurley is very important to the island.

For instance, why did Jacob choose to reveal the cabin to Hurley in the first episode, and why since then where Ben and Locke not able to find it?

I think that Ben knows that Hurley is important to the island, which was why he insisted that they needed Hurley to find the cabin again.

It also got me thinking that maybe the island has wanted Hurley for a long time, I couldn't help noticing the similarities between the time when we saw Hurley in the mental institution in season 2 and when he is in it during his flashforward in season 4.

Both of those times he is speaking to somebody who shouldn't be there. In season 2 it was Dave, and Season 4, our recently deceased Charlie who is trying to convince Hurley that he needs to return to the island.

It got me thinking, what if the island has been trying to draw Hurley to it for a long time? We've seen it use Charlie to convince him to return, what if Dave was also an appartition created by the island? Dave was trying to coax Hurley into breaking out of the institute, maybe if he had gone with him he would have eventually been lead to the island?

I think the island created Dave to make to convince Hurley to do things which would result in him getting to the island, perhaps Dave was one of the people Hurley accidently killed and it created his imaginary friend to accomplish this end. Then it switched to Charlie in Season 4 because it knew that he would be more willing to listen to what Charlie has to say, having been friends with him on the island.

I think it will be revealed in the future that Hurley has some kind of innate, hidden power related to the island and for that reason Jacob chose only to reveal the cabin to him.
JimReaper
JimReaper
Tailie

Number of posts : 38
Humor : Yes.
Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Theres something about Hurley... Empty Re: Theres something about Hurley...

Post by SunburnedPenguin Sun May 18, 2008 7:43 am

Very interesting!

I think there may be a connection there too.

Perhaps it takes a certain kind of mind to see someone like Dave, and that was exploited to put him in a certain mind-set, or keep him in the mental hospital long enough to take real note of the numbers from Leanard, ultimately leading him to the island.

hmm much food for thought, thanks Smile
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sun May 18, 2008 11:40 am

Yeah interesting, ive thought for a while now that both Locke and Hurley fit the bill for replacing Ben (Or Jacob). And that theyre being tested by the island. Locke with the hatch and his whole faith problem and Hurley with Dave and the food and things. But it seems that if Locke will be the overall winner as Hurley is one of the oceanic six.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by JimReaper Sun May 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Not necessarily, the island obviously wants Hurley back! I don't think Locke and Hurley are necessarily meant to replace anyone, they have certain abilities/sensitivities and because of that they are the only ones capable of doing whatever it is they are supposed to do on the island/for the island.

Btw you write really well for a twelve year old, you didn't by any chance attend the Mittelos Science camp last year did you?
JimReaper
JimReaper
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by eda Sun May 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Wow this theory is fantastic ! Claire

However, Hurley is not the only one who sees ghosts. People like Michael or Jack also see them so that doesn't make Hurley extra special. Although I agree that his role must be crucial to the plot. The reason why the cabin was shown to Hurley could be that the island knew that would make Locke and Ben take Hurley with them as they would head to move the island, and Hurley will either have an important mission to accomplish there, or he will use the knowledge he gains from this trip when they are all to come back to the island.

Also, Dave wanted Hurley dead, but the island seems to protect him. So my idea is, there could be more than just one force that have been causing such apparitions. Maybe the island wants to be found, and it chose all these people so that they would get rid of Ben, Widmore, black smoke and dharma ! Anything is possible :cyclops:
eda
eda
Others

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JimReaper Sun May 18, 2008 12:25 pm

I don't know about that, maybe the island was testing Hurley or trying to prove a point. When Dave tried to make Hurley jump, what would have happened if he had jumped?

Would he have died? At the time we saw that ep we'd all think, definitely. But with the information we have now, the answer was most likely, no because hes got work to do!

That might have been the point island was making and trying to show Hurley the islands power through Dave.
JimReaper
JimReaper
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by eda Sun May 18, 2008 12:39 pm

You're right.

But I have other reasons to believe that these ghosts and dreams have different origins bounce

Such as what happened with Eko. Can you recall the illusions Eko had which eventually led to his death by the smoke monster ? Well they certainly varied in nature.

In the same dream, he first saw Ana Lucia and his brother Yemi-who looked rather normal and calm and serious- who told him that he should help Locke find the Pearl station, which as you remember lead to the implosion of the hatch. Then the dream changed, and a furious Yemi told Eko to enter the numbers no matter what.

What do you say about that tongue
eda
eda
Others

Back to top Go down

Post by JimReaper Sun May 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Actually I was pretty baffled by the whole Yemi/monster thing, even more so since we now know that Ben can control the monster (or at least knows how to bait it).

If Ben is in complete control of it then it would mean that he ordered Ekos death.

First he has to keep pushing the button, then the hatch blows up and after that the visions change and it is all about confessing his past sins? I'm completely stumped on that one!

Go on then, I'm bitin' what are their origins?
JimReaper
JimReaper
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by eda Sun May 18, 2008 1:53 pm

I don't think that Ben controls the smoke monster all the time.

The smoke monster was probably programmed by some religious science team who are in fact a bit crazy and who also prepared the videos that were shown to Karl that said 'God loves you as he loved jacob'( they probably hated jacob ! ). They apparently wanted the island to stay hidden for some reason with all its trapped ghost-like zombies.

So when Eko failed to enter the numbers, the hatch imploded and the island was no longer hidden. So the psycho- monster appeared to Eko as Yemi to accuse him and fill him with religious guilt- as it was programmed to !- and kill him. Eko had failed to accomplish his mission.

I believe that the Dave on the island really wanted Hurley dead and was serving the same purpose as the monster. It tried to mess with his head so that Hurley would jump off the cliff at his own will- for it's impossible to kill Hurley otherwise. Maybe even then, as you suggest, Hurley wouldn't die, the island/fate would prevent that.

The island/jacob vs Smoke monster/scientific dream machines created by the mad science team. I have no idea where the course correctors would stand though Rolling Eyes
eda
eda
Others

Back to top Go down

Post by JimReaper Mon May 19, 2008 2:41 am

Not a bad idea in the context of how the Monster killed Eko, I hadn't considered that the religous stuff could be part of its MO, I thought it was just tailored to Ekos psyche.

I'm not sure I buy the idea but I think you might be on to something with 'God loves you as he loved Jacob' idea, it reminds of what Karl said to Sawyer when he asked Kate what she thought Ben would do if they went back for Jack. -

"He'll kill you. God loves you as he loved Jacob"
JimReaper
JimReaper
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope Mon May 19, 2008 7:56 am

I think that all of the O6 are very important. Why? I don't know. But Hurley has always been important. There aren't episodes where he isn't in them. Everyone is always picking on him, but he always proves to be some sorta hero.
Hope
Hope
Others

Number of posts : 189
Humor : Don't play leap frog with a unicorn
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Illiana Vess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down