Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just one advantage of time travelling

+4
jayflo
l337Jacqui
wtfsignmeup
lonewolf
8 posters

Go down

just one advantage of time travelling Empty just one advantage of time travelling

Post by lonewolf Fri May 23, 2008 7:59 pm

its just a tought and its probably occured to most if not all losties....

if ben can travel into the future then like an almanac he would have the power of foresight....in that he would kinda know how a situation he is in the present...will pan out in the future...

sort of like knowing the date when you(BEN) is going to die...thats massive...it means he can get into and out of dangerous situations...still alive...to fight another day...

let alone all the advantages of looking up and knowing the FATE of other characters involved...

a very useful tool...even if he cant access the future information but can through someone like jacob...

"I ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN"...ben said...i guess i would if i knew stuff that was gonna happen in the future...

if the question remains that the future is accessable but can not be changed...then aslong as it is a future that ben is a part of....the rest is history...till you die...

what do you think? bounce
lonewolf
lonewolf
Lostie

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

just one advantage of time travelling Empty Re: just one advantage of time travelling

Post by wtfsignmeup Fri May 23, 2008 8:17 pm

lonewolf wrote:
"I ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN"...ben said...i guess i would if i knew stuff that was gonna happen in the future...

if the question remains that the future is accessable but can not be changed...then aslong as it is a future that ben is a part of....the rest is history...till you die...

what do you think? bounce

Yes, I agree but I don't think Ben knew Alex would die. Were the rules Widmore changed less about a game and more to do with fate and destiny. Did Widmore change the future by killing Alex or was it her time? Ben seemed shocked by that.
wtfsignmeup
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Humor : huh?
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

Back to top Go down

just one advantage of time travelling Empty Re: just one advantage of time travelling

Post by lonewolf Fri May 23, 2008 8:27 pm

i first thought that if ben could see the future he would/could have prevented alex dying...but then i thought that he thought that as far as using info from time travelling goes...there are rules to doing that...to keep in step with the time/space continuim or something.

importantly it was a result not expected by ben hence the resulting aftermath..

its like say ben had seen the future...and so had whidmore...or the men he hired to shoot up the island...i think there was a given between them....and when they went after people like family...it was a breach of the rules...so thats why ben went to see whidmore and tell him hes going to kill penny...

it was a change of foresight...it broke a fundamental rule
a rule that ben knows about and my guess whidmore too...

whidmore used the break of rules to intice ben off the island...
thats why alex died, thats why ben left the island, thats why you shouldnt break the rules!

hmmm...got all defensive then... Rolling Eyes
lonewolf
lonewolf
Lostie

Back to top Go down

Post by l337Jacqui Fri May 23, 2008 8:31 pm

You should read my post titled "They Changed the Rules" Smile
It goes along with this and what WTF said Very Happy
l337Jacqui
l337Jacqui
Others

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jayflo Sat May 24, 2008 12:37 am

I am not convinced that Ben can easily travel to the future and back simply to be "one step ahead" and to "always have a plan". Sure, he can teleport to another time, probably while under fire at the Orchid, but to jump in and out doesn't make sense.

If he could do that, Alex would not be dead. He would have seen that the "rules had changed" and then modified the plan.

In my opinion, it is more likely that Ben (like everyone else) has experienced these events before (in a time loop). Unlike everyone else, Ben is aware of it and remembers the events as they play out.

He still time traveling though, I just think there is a lot more to it then "jumping".

We'll see. I have been wrong many, many times.

Good job & interesting read!
jayflo
jayflo
Tailie

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post by vincentthedog Sat May 24, 2008 1:22 am

Also remember Ben`s tumor, now it did not kill him but he most likely didn`t see that one coming.
vincentthedog
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Vlad Táltos

http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sun May 25, 2008 9:03 pm

I HATE timetravel. I hate it with a vengence. If any show wants to have a mysterious element they put in time travel. But lost was one of the only programs I know that was incredible mysterious but didnt involve time travel. I know it sounds stupid but I just think its ... cheating.

Good theory though.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Sun May 25, 2008 9:37 pm

I agree with THS.

If Ben turns out to be able to whip around space-time at his leisure then it presents a tremendous amount of scope for him to be able to do anything.

And, also, stupidly, means he could have done a lot of other stuff (like not let his daughter die) that he didn't do.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobajam Sun May 25, 2008 9:44 pm

Stickman

I agree with your time travel thoughts. It was used to great success with Heroes - the future episode in series one was fantastic. But it worked there because the rules were kinda set in place. Whereas in Lost it doesn't seem to follow much logic, mainly because we don't know what the hell is going on or how it really works. One moment it's time travel within your own lifetime a la quantum leap, then at other times it would appear to break these rules? Can the future be changed or will the universe always course correct? Is this the rule that Widmore changed? Come on!!? Too many questions! Sorry. Rant over.

I'm hoping (as we all are) that the grand theory will answer all our questions, but slightly worried that they won't.

Still the best show on tv though and can't wait for tonights episode as always.

Very interesting and thought provoking post Wolfy, nice work
jimbobajam
jimbobajam
Tailie

Number of posts : 18
Humor : Are you my caucasian?
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Mon May 26, 2008 11:47 am

Yeah I agree time travel was very well used in heroes almost no plot holes or anything. I agree with Angelo, Ben would have been very stupid to let his daughter die, or get caught by the losties (Or maybe he wanted to).
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by lonewolf Mon May 26, 2008 2:44 pm

funny the whole thing about his daughter dying....cus its not technically his daughter... wonder if that tehnicality means that THE RULE wasnt broken

if thw rule is that durung your vocations in time travelling you cant kill siblings...then there is a sort of prerequiste in place that the island suffers no siblings...because ultimatly no one can have children on it...

even ..claire has been split from aaron...

hmmmm Cool
lonewolf
lonewolf
Lostie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down