Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

third option to debate

3 posters

Go down

third option to debate Empty third option to debate

Post by retroactiveman Thu May 29, 2008 10:42 am

Can destiny be planned? The events in one sense have already happened...How?

Who is Hume? Is Hume just some Scot living in a "hatch" (apologies to those sensitive) on some strange island ...

Or is Hume the philosopher whose radical doubt threw western philosophy into a tailspin until it was rescued by Kant (and when I say rescued by Kant, I mean manufactured into the metaphysics of human hypothesis, the creation of identity through a categorical approach, the oceanic 6 representing representatvie categories of existence through identity).

Its both. And its destined. The show matches. Hume's radical doubt had to crash the plane, and the travellers who were aboard.
retroactiveman
retroactiveman
Others

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: johnny fever

Back to top Go down

third option to debate Empty Re: third option to debate

Post by AngeloComet Thu May 29, 2008 11:03 am

Philosophically speaking, yeah, if you like.

Realistically speaking, the news that "radical doubt" crashed Oceanic 815 isn't gonna fly (pun intended) with the mass Lost viewership.

And would it have killed you to say 'Swan Station' rather than 'hatch'!?

You knew what you were doing - that's what makes it worse!
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Thu May 29, 2008 11:11 am

We have a philosopher in our midst.....I like Smile

I have always thought that the clear distinction between fate/destiny and free-will is a little too black and white, and there does need to be a third angle. Perhaps destiny is something that we are meant to follow, but free-will means we have the choice of whether to follow our destiny or choose another path. But would that work on just an individual basis or globally, or even just community wide, aswell?

I have felt the touch of fate in my life many many times, but always was I aware that I had a choice.

Desmond had a choice - his destiny may have been to crash the plane - but he made a choice whether to follow Inman or stay in the swan and question him later. If he had stayed put and pressed the button, sending the plane on its merry way to LA, then (besides not being a very interesting show) he would have missed his chance to follow his destiny.
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content