Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilot Engine Noise

+4
StitchExp626
retroactiveman
Shamballa
GaryOC
8 posters

Go down

Pilot Engine Noise Empty Pilot Engine Noise

Post by GaryOC Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:43 pm

As some of you may know, i argued the point on L-T that the big clue in the pilot (Sorry for harping on about this again guys!) was something to do with the fact Jack had been to the Island before.

After rewatching the pilot last night (For the millionth time... i couldn't sleep), I think my view has been further reinforced.
As well as bearing some (and i admit not exact) similarity to the way Ben awakes in The Shape of Things to Come, Jack then runs to the beach. When he comes to the clearing everything is deadly quiet as he looks up and down the sand. The first thing we then hear is an engine noise. Now if you listen closely to the noise the engine makes it really sounds like the noise we hear just before a flashback occurs onscreen. Yeah it may be in a different tone/key but the essence of the noise remains. I truly belive there must be some significance as to why Jack woke up alone in the jungle, and also the whole 'dead quiet' scene. I really am leaning towards the idea that was Jacks second time on-island and that the show up until now is a flashback of his.

As to the whole question of 'well if its his second time on the island why didn't he do things differently?' .... well the answer to that is i believe that the first scene in the pilot is the furthest into the future we have seen Jack so we haven't seen him get the chance to yet.
GaryOC
GaryOC
Tailie

Number of posts : 39
Humor : Sarcastic/Slightly Black
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Pilot Engine Noise Empty Re: Pilot Engine Noise

Post by Shamballa Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm just not convinced that there is a "big clue" in the pilot episode. Besides being the title of the episode it's also just that, the pilot episode meaning the launch of the series. ABC didn't know if this show would last for even one season let alone six.

The writers and producers have claimed they knew where this series was going all along and cited the "Adam and Eve" scene as proof, but they have also admitted that they are winging it and even getting some ideas from us the theory posters.

It would be cool if there is something in that episode that will make us all go "AH HA!" when it's all over, but I doubt that will be the case. I believe the "big clue" is just a persistent rumor. Lostpedia and the producers themselves would appear to agree with that stance...

Major hint in the Pilot episode:

"One rumor claims that there was still a major hint or a mystery hidden in the Pilot episode which none of the fans have discovered thus far.

Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof explicitly referred to this as a "false rumor" in the April 16, 2007 podcast, and gave a rundown on all the big mysteries from the Pilot and when and how those had been answered. The only real remaining mystery would be Charlie's last line from the end of part 2, asking "Guys, where are we?".

However, the Missing Pieces mobisode "So It Begins" recently suggested that the white tennis shoe might be of some importance after all."

I know, I know. They have lied in the past. "There is no time travel" my arse! But, this seems to be an exception to the rule. Most of the time they have be forthright with us so for now I'll take their word for it.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Number of posts : 621
Humor : Only on Tuesdays
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Mat Deade

http://shamballa108.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by retroactiveman Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:48 pm

Gary, that is an interesting catch, if the engine noise and flashback noise are the same.

Im not sure if it represents that Jack's person has been to the island before, but if the same, you have to ask why the same sound is being used for both. I prefer to look at the show as intersection of World History with individual history, so maybe there is an equivalance between separation (crash) on the larger world history scale, and separation from the linear self presentation of consciousness (reflection/projection)?

Again, thanks for pointing that out. I personally think that it is important to try to think for yourself, rather than blindly citing what the producers say as gospel. Blind appeal to authority tends to sanction ideas and cut off conversation prematurely.
retroactiveman
retroactiveman
Others

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: johnny fever

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:13 pm

Retro,

I agree that we need to be critical of all sources of information, especially from Carlton and Damon. They need to maintain suspense so that it is obvious that they, like Ben, are not always entirely truthful.

That said I think Lost is probably the first ever show where the writers have such an amazing communication with their viewers, they make their podcasts and invite questions which they answer in a fashion. You would be hard pressed to name any other show where the writers have created such communications with the viewers of the show that they write for.

Most other shows the writers are simply anonymous people who we have never heard of and have no interest in knowing.

I think in Lost discussions appealing to Carlton and Damon is one useful method of arguing! Though often what is left unsaid by them is perhaps more important. Remember that the things broadcast in the series and the things said in the podcast are to be taken as canon. So said Damon and Carlton.

Retro I do find the wording in your second paragraph a bit too condensed "I prefer to look at the show as intersection of World History with individual history, so maybe there is an equivalance between separation (crash) on the larger world history scale, and separation from the linear self presentation of consciousness (reflection/projection)?"

I am not sure what "and separation from the linear self presentation of consciousness (reflection/projection)" is actually meaning. Maybe expand this idea into a couple of sentences or more, it would help others and myself to understand your particular viewpoint. If it is worthsharing then it should be shared simply and straightforwardly so that every member of the forum can understand most of what you are saying.

Stitch
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:19 pm

Pulls on hair and screams There is no big clue in the pilot!

All the producers said was that there was something in the pilot that would make us know that they werent making it up as they went along.

As it was said above. ABC didn't know if this show would last for even one season let alone six. The Adam and Eve thing is suposed to link it to the last season.

It's very possible that the writers made up season three a lot as they went on. Season three was still very good. But the plot seemed thin and a lot of them were unfinished.

Trust me, we'll know if the writers start making it up as they go along in season five.

TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by retroactiveman Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi Stitch, thanks for your comments and giving me a chance to explain myself.

"separation from the linear self presentation of consciousness"

Unclear? What, you dont understand that? Smile

Flashbacks and flashforwards interrupt the linear development.

Crash interrupts line of flight.

I posted elsewhere re Desmond's role in the crash, and Hume's crash of Western philosophy. This would be an example of the World Historical.

As far as possibility goes for the individual, the moments represented in ff/fb are not exactly the Jack eating cereal for breakfast, Jack going to the bathroom. They are important moments, good and bad moments, that interrupt that linear mundaneity (sp?) of their lives, and as such "separation from the linear self presentation of consciousness". As such, personal crashes.

So we have individuals who have personally crashed, living after and in the crash.

To me the show is working out the intersection between the two.
retroactiveman
retroactiveman
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Retro, you come out with these big long phrases, but don't know that mundaneity is not a word? Perhaps monotony would have been better Smile

(all in jest)
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Me Sham no understand green bunnyman. Him talk in clouds above Sham head. Suspect
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by retroactiveman Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:26 pm

Sorry pengy:

i meant mundanity (the condition or quality of being mundane, (ordinary or, if you prefer, monotonous (but I dont find going to the bathroom monotonous, maybe that's just evidence of how monotonous my life is!)).
retroactiveman
retroactiveman
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by retroactiveman Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:29 pm

moderators: can i change my name to greenbunnyman?
retroactiveman
retroactiveman
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:47 pm

lol!
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:03 am

Me Sham no understand green bunnyman. Him talk in clouds above Sham head. Suspect

LOL!
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Number of posts : 263
Humor : Lots

Character sheet
Name: Dirk Diggler

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:42 am

retroactiveman wrote:moderators: can i change my name to greenbunnyman?

Me likz yur old name. stay away frum da Krypton. Makz yu green and peeples will steal yur feetz.
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down