Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dharma stations have been maintained since the purge

+6
katesawjack
SunburnedPenguin
Lojozz
StitchExp626
kahana
MyStarbuckHatesLost
10 posters

Go down

The Dharma stations have been maintained since the purge Empty The Dharma stations have been maintained since the purge

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Thu May 15, 2008 1:23 am

Here is my first quicky here in our new home.

In watching the episode "The Other Woman" I noticed something very odd. The computer terminal that Daniel was furiously working on to shut down the gas plant seemed out of place. If you look at the display monitor you can see that it is very recent. In fact, it almost looks brand new.

The graphics and observed function of the monitor and the computer suggest that it is no more than a few years old. Those of us with some years on us remember what computer monitors looked like in the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's The graphics on that station's monitor were simply not available commercially until the last 10-15 years so just where did the computer systems in that station come from?

Compare the computer monitor in the Swan station to the one in the Tempest and you can see how vastly differnt the two are. The Swan computer is pure 80's in appearence, form and function while the one in the Tempest has very modern graphics and user interface. these two computers cannot be contemporaries

As a comparison, if there were cell phones on the island and then the island was cut off 20 or so years ago from the outside world why would there be a massive bag phone in one station and a Motorola Razr or an Apple I-phone in another? The I-phone would stand out like a sore thumb.

So unless this is a consession to drama with the monitor used simply to impart visual information to the audience or a production error on the part of the producers, then the island has to have been maintained and/or upgraded since the purge.

Last edited by MyStarbuckHatesLost on Thu May 15, 2008 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.
Registration date : 2008-05-14

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

The Dharma stations have been maintained since the purge Empty Re: The Dharma stations have been maintained since the purge

Post by kahana Thu May 15, 2008 2:18 am

nice--- +1 Like a Star @ heaven
kahana
kahana
Tailie

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Back to top Go down

The Dharma stations have been maintained since the purge Empty Re: The Dharma stations have been maintained since the purge

Post by StitchExp626 Thu May 15, 2008 2:42 am

I agree and I think that the Others that can leave the island, like Tom for instance, would be able to acquire computers and also books for the book club.

Good observation on the monitor and computer, it adds another level of complexity to the big puzzle, and the biggest puzzle is what do the Others actually do.

+1 from me

Stitch
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lojozz Thu May 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Yeah nice pick up. We know Goodwin was working there until Ben sent him off to be killed, so I guess they needed/requested up to date technologies in the dangerous environment.
Lojozz
Lojozz

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Joe

http://www.prcanj.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Thu May 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Well spotted!

We do know that certain people have always been able to travel on and off the island so perhaps they pick up the latest tech and bring it back with them.
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Fri May 16, 2008 2:43 am

Very nice notice MSHL, and I can see some of the old ways from L-T ....so +1 from me too and that makes it a +3 . Smile no negativity here.
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 634
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Miranda Eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Fri May 16, 2008 12:45 pm

Thank you very much you wonderful Lostie KSJ
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Back to top Go down

Post by smokeyben Fri May 16, 2008 7:04 pm

+1. Maybe also have something to do with the suplies that has been delivered to the island... Since Ben is controling the wires (he can arrange stuff like this)
rembember the ranch sausace?
smokeyben
smokeyben
Flight Attendant

Number of posts : 8
Location : Washington, DC. Caracas, Venezuela. Zaragoza, Spain. Membata, Indonesia.
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by vincentthedog Fri May 16, 2008 7:45 pm

plus one we can still do that!? Coll then +1 for the spot, never accured to me.
vincentthedog
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire

Character sheet
Name: Vlad Táltos

http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Post by Veefre Sat May 17, 2008 6:21 am

I was watching some of the extra stuff on the Season 3 DVD set, and as I recall they discussed "upgrading" older monitors with newer display internals. Basically they took an old 70's-80's era monitor and stuck a flat panel LCD screen inside it.

My guess that this was not meant to convey that the Dharma stations are receiving upgraded equipment. I think it's more likely it was a desire on the part of the set crew and maybe directors to provide a more interesting display for Daniel.
Veefre
Veefre
Tailie

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sun May 18, 2008 12:07 pm

Good obervations once again MSHL. I think this must be down to Bens work. He purged all the DHARMA and they might get angry and come back again so he would have to refill the gas chamber. And while he was there he put a nice new monitor in.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Sun May 18, 2008 4:38 pm

Hey Stickman,

Glad to see you made it here.
BTW I resurrected my poll "Who really is in that coffin" here from LT. Very Happy
Thanks to Lojozz help.
king
It looks like we will soon be able to claim bragging rights as to the answer We may be the only two that made the correct choice Ben lol!
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 634
Humor : Yes

Character sheet
Name: Miranda Eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Sun May 18, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm telling you KSJ...its a polar bear in the coffin!

Why won't anyone believe me on this (sob...sob)

In reality, I may be about to change my mind on who is in the coffin form Ben to....(wait for it...)
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down