Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Huge Literary Reference Library!

+2
vincentthedog
katesawjack
6 posters

Go down

A Huge Literary Reference Library! Empty A Huge Literary Reference Library!

Post by katesawjack Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:58 am

I was playing the A to Z game Stitch began yesterday, and was searching for a Q, and A Huge Literary Reference Library! 90px-Quran as it is a reference in Lost.We are all aware of the many books that are referenced as having influences. But, I had never seen before now , just how many there are, and all in one place to see.There may even be more in the future? No

I believe it is no wonder that "Lost" is such a great and spirited topic. I have never known of another television show that has had this many literary musings! I find it no small wonder that this, is a show that may never be fully explained to everyones satisfaction.This has been so stated by Damon Lindelof.There are no less than sixty-four references that can be tied in to Lost. See them all here>> study
http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Quran

Last edited by katesawjack on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 634
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Miranda Eowyn

Back to top Go down

A Huge Literary Reference Library! Empty Re: A Huge Literary Reference Library!

Post by vincentthedog Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:07 am

Wow that is a lot of literature.
They may not be able to explain everything but I would hope
that there is a satisfying conclusion that we can all hold onto...

or just leave it lose and give us some awsome movies.
( he said dreaming)
vincentthedog
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire

Character sheet
Name: Vlad Táltos

http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:11 am

that is indeed a huge amount of literature, and some of them are pretty epic themselves.

after Lost, what kind of thing will it take to grab out attention like Lost did? is it possible?
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Number of posts : 263
Humor : Lots
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Dirk Diggler

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:35 am

I can't imagine any show that will ever compare to Lost. I think 24 would be my next choice for uniqueness.But the writers strike doomed this season. I'm not even sure if or when it will be back?
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:39 pm

I cant imagine anything gripping my imagination in this way. A TV show has never spilled over into my real life as this one has, and has never been as good! I have said it before, but I feel priviliged to be one of the first. Lost is going to be repeated for generations I think, and we were the first ones who didnt know the answers and figured it out as we went along! I wonder if any one of us will be on one of those "100 best...." TV shows in years to come, talking about when we watched Lost!
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:15 pm

I think that the Lost phenomena is the material for many a doctoral theses and would make a great documentary.

We have seen over the last 10 years big fan sites for shows such as X Files, Lois & Clarke, Roswell, Smallville to name just a few. These sites would have discussions before, during and after each episode to discuss what they saw and what new clues were given.

However all of these shows encouraged a discussion that was contained within the framework of the show. Questions could be answered by references back to earlier episodes. What Lost has done is get people from all ages and background doing research outside of the show.

The literary, philosphical, political, and scientific body of knowledge that already exists is being accessed, thought about and discussed. The ability of a prime time television show to generate such an academic response from its audience is remarkable. Many a university would love to have half the sucess in getting their students to do anywhere near the level of research that the Lost audience engages in.

The fact that this site, Losties!, is a product of a television show is also amazing. As a group we come from diverse locations, have very different social settings, an eclectic range of occupations and hobbies, a wide age range and yet we show that we can form a community that actively communicates and supports each other.

Lost allows us to become knowledgable about people like Jeremy Bentham, whose name, for anyone outside sociological circles in academia, would return a blank look. A show that gets us to research 1950's comic books as well as books by Stephen Hawkings!

The books that Sawyer reads, the references in the show invite intelligent reading and reflection. This is amazing!

Stitch

Hey we are all part of this amazing phenomenon! It will be something to tell your grandkids! Back in our day ... they used to make intelligent television. Smile

Last edited by StitchExp626 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by katesawjack Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:07 am

Very well said Stitch. I Completely agree! It is nice to be a part of it, and of this International Losties Community! cheers
katesawjack
katesawjack
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaina Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:04 pm

Nicely put Stitch.
Alaina
Alaina
Others

Number of posts : 136

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:21 am

stitch, I am unashamedly plagiarising your words to tell all the non-losties why they should be watching Lost.

spoken like a true Lostie and I LIKE it.
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Number of posts : 263
Humor : Lots

Character sheet
Name: Dirk Diggler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum