Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Five Different Banks

+3
TheHolyStickman
Occam
Irocz28
7 posters

Go down

Five Different Banks Empty Five Different Banks

Post by Irocz28 Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:27 pm

During a flashforward scene of this years finale, Mr. Paik seems distressed over a business transaction in which funds came from Five Different Banks. Soon thereafter, Sun walks in and tells her father that this morning she bought a controlling interest in the business. I have to think that these two incidents tie together somehow. I know some people think that these funds came from the banks of the Oceanic 6 (minus Aaron), but the timeline doesn't make sense if that is the case.

This scene takes place when Sun is still pregnant. So it takes place before Hurley goes crazy. It takes place presumably while Kate and Jack are living happily in Suburbia. And it looks like it takes place while Nadia is still alive, so Sayid is obviously living happily. So why would they donate their settlements from their banks to help Sun buy the company? I realize that Sun having an interest in the company and the resources that come along with that opens up a greater chance in finding the island, but at that time, nobody wanted to go back anyway.

I think this was one of those "red herrings" as we call them. What do you think?
Irocz28
Irocz28
Others

Number of posts : 226
Humor : Seinfeld, Seinfeld, Seinfeld
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Frogurt

Back to top Go down

Five Different Banks Empty Re: Five Different Banks

Post by Occam Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:37 pm

Irocz28 wrote:I realize that Sun having an interest in the company and the resources that come along with that opens up a greater chance in finding the island, but at that time, nobody wanted to go back anyway.

But of course Sun would want someone to go there, and find out whether Jin is actually died or not... and let's not forget about the rest of the bunch of Losties...

What makes me itch is: why should we assume Sun is buying her dad's company because she thinks it's tied to the Island? Unless she has discovered links between Paik and Widmore, that is.

Occam
Others

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:40 pm

A good post Irocz, I thougt for a while that it could have been the O6's money. I was actually going to post it on here until you came in with the timeline. That has answered at least one question in my head.

Now, care to take a guess at where that money really came from Irocz?
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by Irocz28 Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 pm

Occam wrote: But of course Sun would want someone to go there, and find out whether Jin is actually died or not... and let's not forget about the rest of the bunch of Losties...

What makes me itch is: why should we assume Sun is buying her dad's company because she thinks it's tied to the Island? Unless she has discovered links between Paik and Widmore, that is.

Nice thoughts Occam. I think it could be one of two things: 1) She may have found links between Paik and Widmore shortly after leaving the island. As a result, she bought the company in her attempt to get back to the island and possibly find Jin.

Or 2) She bought the company purely out of spite for her father. If you remember, when she got off the rescue plane she hugged her mother, but couldn't even look her father in the eye. This tells me that her hard feelings towards him started long ago. Then once she was in control of the business, she started coming across some very secretive information about Paik Industries, which led her to her seeking out Widmore.

Stickman: In all honesty, I can't even throw out a guess as to where the money came from or how it ties to the five banks. Like you said, the obvious guess is the O6 (minus Aaron), but the timeline doesn't fit. Maybe I should start thinking about it and throw a theory out there. Haha
Irocz28
Irocz28
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:12 am

Well my guess is Hurley as being one of the backers, he did attend the cemetary with Sun. Obviously Sun herself is another of the finaciers of this takeover. This leaves three more, I would hazard another guess that another financial backer could be Penelope Widmore. Which leaves two spaces to fill.

Not Kate, she seems to have spent her money on a nice house, car, furniture, hairdresser and a nanny!

Not Sayid as he is off playing golf, meeting interesting people and killing them!

Not Aaron, as he seems more interested in toys than takeovers.

So maybe Jack, he seems to be back at the hospital and does not seem to have made too many lavish lifestyle choices. So maybe he is one of the backers.

This leaves one other possible financier and I have a feeling that this will be the last person anyone would suspect, Ben. I think that he is the one who convinces Sun to mount the takeover, as Ben seems also to have access to lots of money.

So in summary

1. Hurley
2. Sun
3. Penelope Widmore
4. Jack
5. Ben
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:19 am

It doesnt have to be more than one person though....in order to stage a hostile takeover the controlling share would need to be bought in smaller chunks so as not to alert the present controlling shareholder....so maybe the 5 accounts were there to make us think, but are actually all from the same source?
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Irocz28 Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:15 am

Good point SBP. It could be something to just make us think, when actually it is one person with 5 different accounts.

Stitch, nice analysis. The one person I disagree with is Ben. When he transported to the Sahara wasn't it October of 2005 that he teleported to. Since Sun was still pregnant at the time of the takeover (maybe the summer of 2005), I don't even think Ben was around at the time. He was still "Lost in Space" or something.
Irocz28
Irocz28
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:04 am

Very good point Irocz!

Maybe Sun's mom????

Stitch
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:17 am

I agree with SBP.

Though I originally thought it could have neatly been the O6 involved, there's a bigger problem with that idea than just timelines. Jack, as we know, eventually decides he wants to go back. And he is flying on planes hoping for them to crash, and has maps littered all over his floor hunting for the Island. . .

Well. . . wouldn't you think, in his desperate search, he might have contacted Sun and stated that he had a 20% share of her controlling interest in a company that is linked to the Island and so, you know, how about helping me out with getting back?

As it is Jack has no clue or means of getting back, and is utterly reliant on Ben. Ben has a plan. Is Sun the means for the plan? I doubt it. Thus I think the five banks was, as SBP stated, a means of one person masking their takeover by taking up one controlling share from a number of different sources.

There's probably a proper business term for that, but I don't know it!
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfsignmeup Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:31 pm

SunburnedPenguin wrote:It doesnt have to be more than one person though....in order to stage a hostile takeover the controlling share would need to be bought in smaller chunks so as not to alert the present controlling shareholder....so maybe the 5 accounts were there to make us think, but are actually all from the same source?
This is what I assumed also. I do think Hurley would have helped Sun if she needed more money than the Oceanic 6 received in their settlements.
wtfsignmeup
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Humor : huh?

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content