Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cerberus Vents

4 posters

Go down

The Cerberus Vents Empty The Cerberus Vents

Post by JacksEyes Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:14 pm

I have been thinking (haven't we all) about Ben having to destroy the transporter to access the Donkey Wheel Room. It does not seem likely that Dharma would completely seal off the DWR in the first place. And even less likely that they would do so by building the trasporter in such a position that it would have to be destroyed to access it.

Yes, the transporter probably needs to be in close proximity to the "exotic matter behind the wall", but, hey, why not just place a lead lined bookcase next to it which slides away when you select "The Sliding Bookcase" from the top shelf. For added security they could add a sign saying "DO NOT REMOVE ANY OF THE BOOKS FROM THE TOP SHELF".

Also, I think we all like the idea of training polar bears to turn the wheel, but do not like the idea of having them climb through a little hole and down a ladder that in the cold is not even strong enough to support Ben's mighty frame.

My brilliant hypothesis. There is another way in.

We are familiar with the Cerberus Vents and the Orchid is deep down in a cave that appears to have been accessed by an earlier civilisation who presumably could not subcontract out to Ovis and have a lift installed. So there is a network of caves down there. I think Mrs Goodspeed mention tubes and chambers in her lecture on volcanoes.

So, finally, could the be a natural tunnel from the Temple to the DWR. If there is a naturally occuring phenomenon in a chamber accessed through a cave and a network of tunnels, then the mouth of the cave would be a cracking place for a temple. The boss man gets annoyed goes in the temple and the sky changes colour and ships appear on the island.

Ben's house appears to be (purposely) above a cave which allows communication with Smokey, presumably via the Cerberus Vent system, but it would one big network if the barracks are linked to the Orchid and Ben's cave would have to be the only access point within the Sonar Fence!

If Ben's house and the Temple are the "normal" access points to the DWR then Ben's need to hurry in moving the island might have necessitated the destruction of the transporter.

This is a pretty sketchy theory, but I have tried my best to pad it out and make it look like a real one.

What do you all think?

Is this old news?

What constitutes a BIG theory anyway?
JacksEyes
JacksEyes
Tailie

Number of posts : 23
Humor : Aqueous
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Back to top Go down

The Cerberus Vents Empty Re: The Cerberus Vents

Post by AngeloComet Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:59 pm

I personally feel that the Wheel Room had the one, single access point that Ben used to get to it. And I think it's a well-kept secret on the Island that very few are in on (they can't very well have people wondering down there and turning the wheel and moving the Island whenever they want, can they!?). It's a measure of last resort, after all.

We don't know the consequences for the Island and the people on it, yet; it may turn out that moving the Island doesn't make life a picnic for them, which would support the idea that turning the Wheel really is something you do as a last ditch plan.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JacksEyes Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:31 pm

I definitely agree, but I still would not build my very expensive and unique transporter across the access point.

I was going to add that that would be a stupid thing to do.... then i thought... it would be as stupid as putting a door against a wall with nothing behind it! Hmmm... maybe the room moves, or the configuration of the island changes ?
JacksEyes
JacksEyes
Tailie

Number of posts : 23
Humor : Aqueous
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Caged_Faraday Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:48 pm

I would think that the placement of the Bunny Transporter Room was quite intentional. First, it's proximity to the Exotic Matter Core is impportant to the function of the Bunny Transporter and it's associated research. Second, I believe it was quite intentionally placed to seal up the cavern/tunnel to the Donkey Wheel Room.

I believe the Dharma Initiative intended to block access permanently to that room, either for lack of understanding of it's power, or to prevent it's power from being used. If their research was legitimate, moving the island through space-time could have been detrimental, if not fatal, to the outcome or continuation of that research. Locking the island in place by preventing access to the Donkey Wheel Room (similar to maintaining the magnetic discharge at the Swan Station) may have been neccessary to keep the island when and where it was for the very purpose of their research.
Caged_Faraday
Caged_Faraday

Number of posts : 660
Humor : Bitterly sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Character sheet
Name: Cagey

http://ianscott76.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:26 pm

Im not sure, it's a good observation thats for sure. I think AC makes a good point and this could back up why Locke leaves the island in the future. Or is it present.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content