Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the "incident" and the bears?

+6
chirpey1987
AngeloComet
wtfsignmeup
eda
l337Jacqui
Lateralus
10 posters

Go down

the "incident" and the bears? Empty the "incident" and the bears?

Post by Lateralus Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Anyone else think Dharma trained that polar bear to turn the donkey wheel like Ben did, and that is how it ended up in the desert? Ben said it had been done before.

And i'm thinking that the island "moved" a few years ahead and it won't be able to be found untill Jack and the gang catch up to that time.

And did they finaly give into to time travel to explain the inconsistencies with the timeline. Danielle's being there for 16 years, Horace killed 12 years ago in the purge etc.?

Smile

Last edited by Lateralus on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lateralus
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 526
Humor : "I hate you Milkman Dan"
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Lateralus Finn

Back to top Go down

the "incident" and the bears? Empty Re: the "incident" and the bears?

Post by l337Jacqui Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:40 pm

I don't think a polar bear did it, but a good question would be, who did? The last time the island moved was the season 2 finale when Ben was holding Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Hurley on the dock right before Michael and Walt got off the island. Should we assume it was Desmond temporarily who left? Since he turned the key in the hatch and had that "flashback" with Penny and Mrs. Hawking?
l337Jacqui
l337Jacqui
Others

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by eda Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Yes Jacqui I think that was it.

If they could train Polar bears to do that, then they might as well have trained the rabbits to push the button Bunny

I'm just kidding, what you say makes sense. Perhaps they used that polar bear as an experiment to see what happens to you when you turn the wheel.
eda
eda
Others

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfsignmeup Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:53 pm

I think the wheel is ancient(not created by Dharma) and that the polar bear was shifted in the portal that Ben filled with metal.

I like the idea that the island moved a few years forward in time but does that work with John Locke visiting the 06 and saying things had gotten bad on the island after Jack left?(im not sure)
wtfsignmeup
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Humor : huh?
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:05 pm

I am not at all convinced the Island moved at the end of Season 2. In fact, scrap "not at all". I'll just say it didn't.

And I don't think a polar bear previously moved the wheel either. Rather, like WTF says, it was shoved in The Vault (God knows how) and zapped there.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chirpey1987 Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:20 pm

I also did not think that the island moved at the end of season 2 i think it may have appeared or as such,
chirpey1987
chirpey1987
Others

Number of posts : 218
Humor : haha

Character sheet
Name: Amy-Louise

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:39 pm

Island didn't move at end of season two. But It became visible enough for Penny and Charles Widmore to find it.

I think AC's spot-on with the vault bear-transporter call. But I can't imagine why you'd want to transport a polar bear like that...can you imagine the ride down the elevator shaft with a wild, over-heated polar bear?

Trained, wheel-turning polar bears...I'm sensing an attraction for a Lost theme-park

Ca-ching!
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:15 pm

I dont think it moved at the end of Season 2 either, purely because the time they were on the island and the "108" days to rescue adds up as it is, and wouldnt if the island had moved.

I did wonder if the polar bear had been trained to move the wheel, but then I thought....would they have sent it out to an unknown location wearing a Dharma collar? Way to draw attention to yourself Smile

I think its more likely that there was once some Dharma experiments in Tunisia, before they emigrated to the Island.
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lateralus Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 pm

The bear cages had that intricate feeding mechanism sawyer had to figure out. I think Dharma was training the bears to do something other than sit in a cage.
And Candle said the chamber would move the bunny 100 milliseconds ahead in time. I think Dharma found this pit with the wheel and decided to see what would happen if it was turned. Now Why a polar bear? Because the cave was cold? And why the parka's in the lockers if the frozen chocolatey center was behind the vault wall?((((((AAAAHHHHHH!!!! too much.... Brain.... cold)))))))

But i have said it before. The appearance of a polar bear on a tropical island was a good WTF? for the first season. And Dharma could have used penguins for whatever cold climate research they were doing, but Sawyer gunning down an escaped rampaging penguin wouldn't look as cool.
Lateralus
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Caged_Faraday Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:09 am

I'm not sold that the main purpose of the polar bear was to turn the donkey wheel. It would be useful... the polar bear would probably have had an easier time of it than Ben did. Here's the thing? How would the polar bear have gotten tot he donkey wheel? Ben had to blow the Bunny Transporter Room to smithereens just to get to the tunnel to the donkey wheel. How would they have gotten the bear (or any theoretical earlier Donkey-Wheel-User) into the Donkey Wheel Room? If there was a front door, wouldn't Ben have used it, rather than causing irreparable damage to the Bunny Transporter Room?

I think the only thing we can glean from Ben and the Polar bear both appearing in (approximately) the same place in Tunisia, is that the other side of the wormhole (or Stargate, or whatever way you want to comprehend time-space travel) is in Tunisia. I think the bear was transported through the "natural" properties of the island; Ben used the more "man-made" vehicle. But whichever means you use, you just end up in Tunisia... that's just where the exit door leads.
Caged_Faraday
Caged_Faraday

Number of posts : 660
Humor : Bitterly sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Character sheet
Name: Cagey

http://ianscott76.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lateralus Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm talking about before the underground station was even built around the wheel. Obviously Dharma, or whoever, found the wheel first, then built the station around it. Using the guise of a botanical research station to keep their super secret real studies of the island known to only those the want to know.
And so far we havn't seen any "natural forces" that can send a bear to Tunisia. I guess they could have taken one out for a walk, it bit through its leash and ran away and stumbled through the other time-space gateway(or whatever) they won't show us unitll next season.
I mean, heck, we havn't even seen what the Temple is. It was marked with its own Dharma logo on a map. And the next time we see Alpert and freinds they're back in burlap, eating squirels and berries. confused

But anyway, i know its a stretch, but i have a lot of time to kill until next season.
I don't even want to get started on how they can see the boat blow up in real time, but have the dead doctor wash up a day before he was really killed.
Neutral

Last edited by Lateralus on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Lateralus
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Caged_Faraday Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Lateralus wrote:And so far we havn't seen any "natural forces" that can send a bear to Tunisia. I guess they could have taken one out for a walk, it bit through its leash and ran away and stubbled through the other time-space gateway(or whatever) they won't show us unitll next season.
Well... I was referring to "pre-Dharma" when I said "natural" forces. Whether it be the island having a time hiccup, or the old frozen donkey wheel. But yeah, pretty convenient set of circumstances for the bear to happen to get dumped through a time portal. I think my more important thought was that the island's quantum exit door happens to land in Tunisia.

Lateralus wrote:But anyway, i know its a stretch, but i have a lot of time to kill until next season.
I don't even want to get started on how they can see the boat blow up in real time, but have the dead doctor wash up a day before he was really killed.
Neutral
Unless you subscribe to my elipical time-orbit theory... but even then, it would be real convenient that island and real-world hppened to be synched at that moment.
Caged_Faraday
Caged_Faraday

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:59 pm

"...whichever means you use, you just end up in Tunisia... that's just where the exit door leads."

Both ben and the bear were transported to Tunisia because it is the antipode of the the island's south pacific location. in other words, it is the opposite point on the earth when going from the island, throught the exact center of the core and popping out on the other side. i.e.---The antipode of the north pole is the south pole.

I haven't consulted my globe on this one but I think it is correct.

But how would you get a bear down that tiny tunnel and down into the hole where the ice cream wheel was? That would have to be the shit job of all Dharma shit jobs

Horace: "Hey Roger, go take one of the polar bears down into that frozen hole we found last week."

Roger: "I hate this island!"
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Back to top Go down

Post by Caged_Faraday Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:01 pm

34°S 170°W

This confluence has not been visited, or indexed.
Type: Water: 898 km (558 mi.) from land

Comes up West of Austrailia, though.

I like how you're thinking, Starbuck.
Caged_Faraday
Caged_Faraday

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by vincentthedog Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:33 am

Lateralus although I don`t fully agree I like the explanation for the cages. I always thought they were like trainning a rat but for people, why not polar bears??? Bear
vincentthedog
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire

Character sheet
Name: Vlad Táltos

http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:04 pm

Thanks Caged...I'd have done better but the light in my brain doesn't quite scatter right
Very Happy
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down