Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by AngeloComet on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:32 pm


It should be made clear from the outset that my opinion, and my intent, here is not to try and tell you that global warming isn't happening. That is, if enough pieces of information point towards the fact that the Earth is indeed getting warmer then I'll believe it. If I wanted to try and convince you scientifically and statistically I would gather as much data as I could. But that's not my intention, and it's not where I have a problem.

My problem is a more political, sociological and media-orientated one when it comes to the issue of global warming. For example, who reading this even knows what that term means? When someone says that the strange and unpredictable weather events across the world are as a result of "global warming" what are they actually saying?

They aren't really talking about the temperature of the Earth. What they're really talking about is the relationship between CO2 and the effect it is apparently having on the Earth's temperature. Fundamentally, we're down and dirty with pollution being the potential cause of the downfall of the planet. That's what the media is discussing when they talk about global warming.

So here's my first, and probably biggest, problem with the media and 'global warming'. It's considered a fact. The media can begin a news report with the phrase, "Due to the effects of global warming. . . blah blah blah. . ." without having once acknowledging this one point: It's not a fact.

It is not a fact that carbon emissions are responsible for the possibility that the Earth may be getting warmer. I repeat: It is not a fact.

The media sell it as a fact. The public at large now actually just believe it without question. Global warming, in general terms, is genuine - apart from the fact that no incontrovertible proof exists to support it.

A man can be on your television and tell you that countries need to sign up and agree the terms of the Kyoto Treaty to reduce carbon emissions otherwise global warming will continue to rise. He can tell you that on the news, to your face, without having to qualify the FACT that it might not even be true.

Doesn't that annoy you?

Did you know, or remember, that at the turn of 1970 there was a very real concern about the fate of the planet? All the evidence, and all the scientists in the media (important point, that, the difference between media scientists and proper scientists) at that time were convinced about one thing: The Earth was under great threat by environmental issues. What issue? (Get ready for this one.) They believed there was going to be another ice age.

Seriously. Just over thirty years ago the world didn't give a shit about the world getting too hot. They considered the possiblity that the world getting too cold was going to wipe out humanity. I'm not kidding. And this fear was reported in the news and the media and discussed in politics with the same fervour that global warming is today.

Back then, a new ice age was just as real as global warming is today. Obviously, they were as wrong as can be then. I'm not saying they're wrong now, but what I am saying is that they don't have the right to report it as fact until it is a fact. What I am saying is, they don't have the right to scare everyone into believing something that they don't even know is true.

I mean, you go back to that point about carbon emissions and global warming being linked. That's what the greenhouse effect is, right? Trapped carbon emissions insulating the planet's heat and boiling us all. That's the principle. Never mind that human activity accounts for a piddly amount of carbon emissions compared to say, trees. And never mind that years ago - before cars and planes and nuclear power plants - the Earth was considerably warmer for certain periods than it is now.

That's right. The world was once hotter in the past than it is now, and it had nothing to do with pollution. They don't tend to talk about that fact in the media. It doesn't sit well with the global warming agenda. Which is what it is. Global warming is an industry. It's a whole new business that rakes in billions of pounds. All those people promoting it and advocating new principles, marketing hybrid cars and all of that, they're all capitalising on the global warming panic market. It's a booming trade!

So the next time you read or watch the news, pay attention to the global warming story. Consider how many viewpoints they present that may suggest it's not actually a fact. They don't alledge global warming. They don't discuss the possibility of it. They tell you it's real and then probably follow it up with pictures of a polar ice-cap collapsing (they do that all the time, by the way - they collapse, and freeze again, and grow and then shrink all the time, over centuries, but no one will mention that either!) followed up by a shot of a cute baby polar bear just to tweak your emotions.

Call me cynical.

As I said at the start, I'm not here to say the Earth isn't getting warmer. I just don't believe it's a known fact that it is, and I don't believe it's a known fact about the causes of it. (And the less said about what reducing carbon emissions by 10% per country is going to do about it is the kind of joke you won't find any sombre journalist laughing about.)

- - - -

The question from all of this, of course, is why? Why does the media perpetrate a non-fact? That's a massive theoretical, sociological question. Philosophical, almost. Me personally, I bracket this spread of news under the same category as other fear-mongering.

Whatever country you are in I am sure the news is filled with stories about how gun/knife crime is on the rise; how the cost of everything and the tax on that cost is increasing and set to get worse; how standards in healthcare are falling and the threat of a new disease is set to wipe us out (SARS/birdflu was the latest of these, but here in the UK, some years back, we had the scandalous MMR jab scare story which fightened many parents into not inoculating their children for no scientifically factual reason - and now kids are dying of measles for the first time in modern memory).

Why do it? Well, bad news is good news for newspapers. Bad news sells papers. Bad news is good business. Happy headlines don't make good copy. So that's why they perpetrate it. And I'd say a government is content to have its people fed constant bad news to keep them pinned down with their own concerns. Take the 'war on terror'. That's a beauty! Tell your people that some mad nuclear-weapon packing fanatics are set to obliterate your way of life (without any factual evidence!) and then be given a free pass to go and invade and wage war against a country.

A scared public are a malleable public. That's my own personal theory as to 'why'. Maybe you've got a different take on it. I won't tell you you're wrong. Just don't tell me you're right without the basis of factually proving so.
avatar
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Age : 40
Location : Manchester, United Kingdom
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

View user profile http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by John_Vee on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm

I read this with admiration .Everything you say i concur with and it only proves what iv'e allways thought .My favourite quote about poloticians is "They are only in it for the money"..We have had wars fought and countries invaded for a supposed threat of nuclear bombardment and weapons of mass destruction (They still haven't found any" ..These wars and propoganda on Global warming are as you say not proven...All the wars in the near east have been fought over OIL .The war in the Falklands was fought over the belief by the British Government that there is OIL in the South Atlantic .
following on from that please read my poem published 2 years ago on my Art and poetry forum ..

Since man has been upon this earth
He's many a battle fought;
About religion or rights of land
And many a victories sought.
Many a battle has been won and many a battle lost
It's mainly greed or difference of creed
Despite the dreadful cost;
It drives mankind to fight these wars
To gain another's soil
And now we have another fight
They're fighting over oil.
Would Britain had gone to the Falkland war
Just for a few dumb sheep,
Or did they fight and lose good men
For oil rights to keep.
Are we fighting in the Gulf,
for the rights of man?
Or are we there to secure,
The oil from Iran.
I just don't know when it will end
I don't know what to say
I only know I'm sick of it
So to our leaders say
Tell us the truth you congressmen
Don't tell us a pack of lies
Or you'll go down in history
And the world will all despise,
The way you kept us in the dark
And didn't tell the truth
Will live in all our memories
Handed down to youth
So I say to all of you
If you want us to fight your wars
Then don't just give us bull
Give us a just cause
We'll always fight for liberty
The enemy we will foil
But don't ask us to risk our lives
Over a barrel of OIL
John H Ventham (c) 2006
avatar
John_Vee
Others

Number of posts : 105
Age : 74
Location : Margate UK and West Virginia USA
Humor : Tibius
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Character sheet
Name: John the Impaler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by wtfsignmeup on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:59 pm

John Vee, I love your poem. I agree with your words.

AC, I can't argue with a lot of your facts and I agree that we're manipulated by the media, but I do think in this case you can apply the old saying,'where there theres smoke, theres fire' (/pun)
Another instance of this is in the MMR jab scare you write of. I truly believe that for a (small) percentage of children it is preferable to have the immunisation broken down into three jabs (one for each of the childhood diseases)spaced over a month or so, and the fact that the preservative used for the vaccine was mercury was another possible factor for the increase in autism over the last 15 years.
My child with autism developed normally until around 18 months. It could be a coincidence and I know immunisation has done wonders for all of us,however as a parent you can't help but feel guilt and look for answers for a lifelong condition that suddenly appears out of nowhere.
I know my post went off the beaten track, but I wanted to mention this.
avatar
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Age : 49
Location : Oz
Humor : huh?
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by SunburnedPenguin on Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:02 pm

Your comment, "A scared public are a malleable public" sums up my own stance perfectly. But I'll come back to that....

As for global wamring, it has, imho, become more of a tag line, a brand, than a factual description of events. They say Global Warming, we arew supposed to automatically know they mean the world getting warmer and global climatic change. What they dont tell you about however, is Global Cooling.

Global Cooling is the thing that scares most real (as opposed to media) scientists at the moment, but they only began to take it seriously after 911.

Global Cooling is a direct effect of pollutants in the atmosphere, reflecting light and heat back away from the Earth. Global Warming has decreased the effectiveness of the Ozone Layer forcing the Earths temperature up, but Global Cooling almost neutralises that effect, bringing the temperature down.

What is scary, is what happens when we decrease the pollutants in the atmosphere without, at the aame time, decreasing the damage to the Ozone Layer.

After 911, when all flights in and out of the USA were halted, there were unseasonably clear blue skies and a definite rise in temperature. There was already a team of scientists trying to get this idea taken seriously, but no-one in the scientific community would take it seriously. Then someone took notice of the difference in temperature in a specific area when pollutants from airplanes was removed for just one day.

But do they tell us about this, in the news do they say "due to Global Warming and Cooling" no......which is what brings me back to your most excellent post.

There is something very interesting going on behind the scenes. We all know that we are quickly running out of fuel. Well actually....no we are not.

The USA is sitting on a massive supply of a different type of oil that would halt the fuel crisis immediately. Unfortunately, this oil needs to be refined in a different way, and that refining method will produce 8 times more pollutants than the current supply.

Wales is sitting on 250million Tonnes of coal. England has millions too. As most of you probably know, the Thatcher years saw the closing down of the coal mines - over a union row and not wanting to give in to demands (demands for higher pay and better working conditions that IMHO were desperately needed) and this saw the collapse of many mining communities, higher unemployment and many other social and economic problems in the UK, especially Wales.

The first coal mine to be re-opened was in Wales in November last year. We are already getting ready.

More importantly, there are ways to produce "Clean Coal" that causes no pollutants. I suspect the UK will become a dominant force in the fuel war.

Are we told any of this? No. I mean it doesnt take much googling to find information on any of this, but it is not mainstream news thats for sure. The average person who does not question what they are taught through the medium of news would not have a clue about any of this, and they are the ones that are the most malleable.

I have always believed very strongly that we owe it to ourselves to question everything our world leaders and advisors and news readers tell us. I dont think I have bought a newspaper for a good 10 years, and only watch the news to see what crap they are trying to make us believe in this week. Read between the lines.

I agree totally that the driving force behind many news stories and enforced general consensus is business, but also power.

This may be a bold statement and may make people think me odd, but I look forward to a global catastrophe...as that is the only thing that will wake people up to the reality - that we are asleep and are drip fed information, designed to keep us grateful and buying into whatever makes them the most money.

_________________
AUGUST HALL OF FAME NOMINATIONS OPEN! PLEASE PM ME YOUR FAVOURITE THEORY OF AUGUST!!!!!!!!

Losties is moving!!!! Read the Blog by clicking the new link at the top of the page!

You may have noticed a new arcade section.....pm me suggestions for games you would like to see added!

Losties RPG area now open! Check it out HERE
avatar
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Age : 43
Location : Near Cardiff
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

View user profile http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by John_Vee on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:33 pm

Here Here Daughter I love you xxx
avatar
John_Vee
Others

Number of posts : 105
Age : 74
Location : Margate UK and West Virginia USA
Humor : Tibius
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Character sheet
Name: John the Impaler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by vincentthedog on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:30 pm

You should try following politics via the "news" in the States.
They are so one sided it is horrible.
I think we will see another ice age before global warmming.

AC I thought this was going to be Global warming is to climate change as Hatch is to Darma stations.
avatar
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Age : 44
Location : Mass,USA
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Vlad TŠltos

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by TheHolyStickman on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:48 pm

Thanks AC, your view on this has actually made me feel a lot better about global warming. And most importantly I can feel smarter than the news reporters on TV! Very Happy
avatar
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Age : 23
Location : Norfolk England
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by Alaina on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:57 pm

"This may be a bold statement and may make people think me odd, but I look forward to a global catastrophe...as that is the only thing that will wake people up to the reality - that we are asleep and are drip fed information, designed to keep us grateful and buying into whatever makes them the most money." SP

I am right there with you I personally want the aliens to come that will be the one thing that can unite us. Beacuse at that point we are not Americans, Europeans, black, white, Pagan,Christian we will be Human or Earthlings which ever you prefer.

AC Great Post!!!!
avatar
Alaina
Others

Number of posts : 136
Age : 43
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by TheHolyStickman on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:06 pm

I notice that, AC, you use 'Cynical' a lot. I don't actually know what this means. I mean I sorta know but I don't actually know. If you get what I mean.

Can someone explainin their own words what that actually means?
avatar
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Age : 23
Location : Norfolk England
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by tracker on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:03 pm

HSM, I think he means it as believing the worst of human nature and motives.

ie a cynical person might believe newpapers only give out the bad news (or half truths) because it sells papers, not because it's necessarily true.


Last edited by tracker on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
avatar
tracker
Others

Number of posts : 237
Age : 61
Location : Charleston, SC
Humor : Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns.......Archie Bunker
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by AngeloComet on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:26 pm

Cynical: my definition is to take a negative opinion as a path to real 'truth'.

An out-and-out negative view, mind, is just plain pessimism.

The opposite of pessimism is optimism.

Cynicism is kind of close to pessismism, I suppose. . . only the negativity is defined by logical understanding.

Let's take an easy example, with three people: Person A, Person B and Person C.

Person A is an optimist. They wake up in the morning and look out of their window to a cloudy sky. They think, I am sure the sun will come out soon.

Person B is a pessimist. They wake up in the morning and look of out their window to a cloudy sky. They think, I am sure it will rain soon.

Person C is a cynic. They wake up in the morning and look out of their window to a cloudy sky. They think, It rained yesterday and those clouds look heavy - it'll probably rain. Especially if I plan a picnic!

Cool
avatar
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Age : 40
Location : Manchester, United Kingdom
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

View user profile http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by Lateralus on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:40 pm

[quote="vincentthedog"]You should try following politics via the "news" in the States.
They are so one sided it is horrible.
I think we will see another ice age before global warmming.

quote]


I think for every 5 minutes of real news there's another 55 minutes of crap. Especially with the 24 hour news like CNN, MSNBC and FOX new. You get a sound bite of info on whatís happening in Iraq and then the rest of the hour is about Britney Spears farting in an elevator. The morning network news shows like ABC's Good Morning America, are really bad about that. You get a quick rundown of things that happened in the real world while you were asleep, then half an hour of Diane Sawyer interviewing the cast of Dancing with the Star's because there's going to be a new episode on ABC that night.
And they thrive on misinformation. Remember all those weeks ago when Barack Obama and his wife did that little fist bump after the primary victory? The next day it became a "terrorist fist jab" at Fox news and the rest of the networks followed behind with their panels of experts to debate whether it was or wasnít a call to jihad or just a low key high-five.
It wasnít, they knew it wasnít, but that didnít stop them. It filled time. It didnít matter if it was real news or not. They had already sold the commercial time.
And that doesnít even begin to cover what Glen Beck, Bill OíReilly and their clones do. I canít watch those shows without getting peeved at the stupid b/s they spew. Not even to get a cheap laugh at how stupid they are.
avatar
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 526
Age : 40
Location : Little Rock, AR
Humor : "I hate you Milkman Dan"
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Lateralus Finn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by dabiatchishere on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Wow, it is really nice to see like-minded thinkers on this website! I think AC has done a brilliant job, and I wholeheartedly concur with all of his statements!

John, I so like your poem! Truer words were never spoken!

Sunny P, your dad certainly has bragging rights on you!

It is difficult to accept that so many people follow the "media spin" and the words of the Politicians, as opposed to doing their own independent research and thinking.

There are a couple of issues nagging at me at the moment. Canada has already begun off-shore drilling. What is NOT known to the majority, is it takes ten years to finally get the results of those labours, to the public consumers. The US is saying they don't want to start off-shore drilling because it will deter the beauty of its coastlines. Considering the rigs are 15 miles off of the coast, it seems hard that any intelligent person would believe this!

The other major problem is with the lack of Border Security between the US and Mexico. Considering this is a major entrance way for drugs, human trafficking, and terrorists, it would behoove them to secure them. This is an issue of 'national security', with 'international repercussions'. Yet, the public is being 'sold' on the idea, that this has something to do with 'illegals' crossing the border, therefore there is no need to secure them, and it would be too costly! What a crock!

When people are being kept in a continual 'state of fear', they lose their power and independence, therefore relying on the very people, who are holding them in this state. The solution, "Knowledge is Power". Everyone needs to be their own skeptic, and ask themselves this question. What am I being sold, and who is it that will benefit from it. Perhaps, that will lessen the hold of the 'media spin-doctors' and the Politicians, on society.

PS: You can reserve me a permanent seat at the "Cynics" table, btw!
avatar
dabiatchishere
Others

Number of posts : 119
Age : 60
Location : Canada
Humor : Outrageous!
Registration date : 2008-07-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by MollyCocktail on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:25 pm

I am no cynic and I do not believe everything that I read or see on the telly, but I recycle everything from aluminum cans to cable knit sweaters.

Waste not, want not.
avatar
MollyCocktail
Others

Number of posts : 325
Age : 42
Location : Orchid Station, The Island
Humor : Insane
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jacob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by TheHolyStickman on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:31 pm

AngeloComet wrote:Cynical: my definition is to take a negative opinion as a path to real 'truth'.

An out-and-out negative view, mind, is just plain pessimism.

The opposite of pessimism is optimism.

Cynicism is kind of close to pessismism, I suppose. . . only the negativity is defined by logical understanding.

Let's take an easy example, with three people: Person A, Person B and Person C.

Person A is an optimist. They wake up in the morning and look out of their window to a cloudy sky. They think, I am sure the sun will come out soon.

Person B is a pessimist. They wake up in the morning and look of out their window to a cloudy sky. They think, I am sure it will rain soon.

Person C is a cynic. They wake up in the morning and look out of their window to a cloudy sky. They think, It rained yesterday and those clouds look heavy - it'll probably rain. Especially if I plan a picnic!

Cool

Thank you AC, I understood Pessimism and optimism already and I knew being cynical was something close to it. I understand now. Very Happy
avatar
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Age : 23
Location : Norfolk England
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by Lateralus on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:34 pm

dabiatchishere wrote:The US is saying they don't want to start off-shore drilling because it will deter the beauty of its coastlines. Considering the rigs are 15 miles off of the coast, it seems hard that any intelligent person would believe this!


Not too unbelievable.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2006/05/tilting_at_windmills_in_the_se.html
This link is to an article about a wind farm off the coast of Massachusetts. its from 2006, so its a bit dated, but still relative.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/06/04/sd_county_approves_rezoning_for_new_oil_refinery/

And thats a neat little tidbit about the first new oil refinery being built in the U.S. in 30 years.
So even if we could open up all these new oil feilds, we can't turn it into gas.


"America: Where half-assed is good enough!"
avatar
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 526
Age : 40
Location : Little Rock, AR
Humor : "I hate you Milkman Dan"
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Lateralus Finn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by TheHolyStickman on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:39 pm

Lateralus wrote:

"America: Where half-assed is good enough!"

Now thats a quote to be proud of!
avatar
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Age : 23
Location : Norfolk England
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by Alaina on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:51 pm

TheHolyStickman wrote:
Lateralus wrote:

"America: Where half-assed is good enough!"

Now thats a quote to be proud of!

and it would make a nice bumper sticker Laughing
avatar
Alaina
Others

Number of posts : 136
Age : 43
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by dabiatchishere on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:59 pm

TheHolyStickman wrote:
Lateralus wrote:

"America: Where half-assed is good enough!"

Now thats a quote to be proud of!

OMG Laterlaus! LMAO!


Add 10 years on top of that 30 years, and perhaps your children may benefit from it, providing the war mongers and politicians haven't blown us all to hell-o by then.

I thought the Kennedy comment was appropriate. Who would know more about 'wind' than him!

PS: While the US like any other country has its drawbacks, it is still one of the greatest countries in the world! Be proud to be an American! Smile
avatar
dabiatchishere
Others

Number of posts : 119
Age : 60
Location : Canada
Humor : Outrageous!
Registration date : 2008-07-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by TheHolyStickman on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:07 am

dabiatchishere wrote:

PS: While the US like any other country has its drawbacks, it is still one of the greatest countries in the world! Be proud to be an American! Smile

I agree, I'd love to go there sometime. Smile Maybe pay MSHL a little visit. Very Happy
avatar
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Age : 23
Location : Norfolk England
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by vincentthedog on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:28 am

Lateralus wrote:
I think for every 5 minutes of real news there's another 55 minutes of crap. Especially with the 24 hour news like CNN, MSNBC and FOX new. You get a sound bite of info on whatís happening in Iraq and then the rest of the hour is about Britney Spears farting in an elevator. The morning network news shows like ABC's Good Morning America, are really bad about that. You get a quick rundown of things that happened in the real world while you were asleep, then half an hour of Diane Sawyer interviewing the cast of Dancing with the Star's because there's going to be a new episode on ABC that night.
And they thrive on misinformation. Remember all those weeks ago when Barack Obama and his wife did that little fist bump after the primary victory? The next day it became a "terrorist fist jab" at Fox news and the rest of the networks followed behind with their panels of experts to debate whether it was or wasnít a call to jihad or just a low key high-five.
It wasnít, they knew it wasnít, but that didnít stop them. It filled time. It didnít matter if it was real news or not. They had already sold the commercial time.
And that doesnít even begin to cover what Glen Beck, Bill OíReilly and their clones do. I canít watch those shows without getting peeved at the stupid b/s they spew. Not even to get a cheap laugh at how stupid they are.

I listen to sports radio in the car just to veg out but will sometimes put on air america or cnn radio and although they are often against popular rederick they are also one sided byist.
Embarassed
avatar
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Age : 44
Location : Mass,USA
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Vlad TŠltos

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by Annie79 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:17 am

Angelo, kudos on speaking your mind on this subject, I couldn't agree more! And, as Dab said, it's nice to be around so many like minded people!

SunnyP, I do still get the newspaper, for the obits!! I cannot understand people who accept the news media's views on such important subjects without some healthy skepticism. They are in the business of ratings, not necessarily interested in truth telling.

In the U.S., the three major stations are so slanted, they were even invited to go with Obama on his mid East trip. The cable news channels are not much better, I've found with the possible exception of Fox News. But, I've learned to do my own homework, too. Global Warming has become big business, at least here in America. People are spending fortunes making their homes and businesses 'green'. Who's raking in the dough? Mostly the Home Depots and other businesses who were smart enough to get into the 'going green' business early on.

Who else? The investors! Yes, they are making money, too.

Yes, Angelo, Global Warming is a big business just as the big 'ice age coming' in 1970. I remember that well. If I recall, the East Coast saw one ice storm and one very severe blizzard, 'The Blizzard of '78'. Something, I'll never forget. We were housebound for a week! But, certainly no ice age.

The winters have never been as bad since then, I guess it was a mini ice age!

I, for one, am proud to be am American, but being an American includes my right to question my leaders and what the news puts out as fact.

Thanks for posting this, Angelo. I'm right there in the skeptic's corner with you!!
avatar
Annie79
Others

Number of posts : 108
Age : 69
Location : Smallest State in the US
Humor : Any kind, at this point!!
Registration date : 2008-07-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by StitchExp626 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:29 am

Hi AC

a very interesting read and of course your statements about the media and their love of bad news is correct. Some of us are old enough to rember the threat of Y2K, the millenium bug.

That said, it is perhaps harder to argue against the effects of a weakened ozone layer when you live in Australia. We have been experiencing a drought, a drought that has no precedent. A drought that just seems to have no end. A drought that has lasted since 2001.

We do not need news people, weathermen or Governments to tell us that there is something wrong. We see it everyday, the dry weather continues and promises of heavy rain fail to materialise.

Everyone in Australia is faced with water restrictions everyday, some communities are having to cope with the most highest level of restricted water usage as the water may run out.

In Melbourne we have been at Stage three water restriction since April 2007.

Which basically means that any water related activity is probably illegal. Eg, putting water on plants in a garden is legal only for two set hours twice a week, and then it is restricted to using a hose with special restricting nozzle or a bucket.

Washing a car is also illegal unless you use a bucket and wash only windows, mirrors and headlights. Even water toys, such as water pistols can not be used at anytime!

The media loves bad news but not when the bad news is really bad. The number of experts who have predicted the ending of the drought over the past years is amazing. They predicted that the rains would come and that there have beens signs that the worst of the drought is over. They make these predictions and from the news reports one would think that the drought was over, and yet the rains refuse to obey the experts and the long dry continues.

In Melbourne our water catchments are at 30% of their capacity. I think that the Australian expeience needs to be considered as evidence that there is something wrong with the weatherdown here.

Also what is alarming is that Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, with over 380,000 people diagnosed every year. It is important to rember our total population is 21 million. The incidence of skin cancer is scary. No rain, blue skies, more sun, and located close to where scientists say the ozone is depleted.

Whether global warming is real or not, whether it is pollution, nature or some other cause, it is important that this 'industry' does keep researching the area.

Although billions of dollars each year are spent in the 'cancer' industry to find a cure, none has been found. Yet AC, we would not see this as a waste of money. In Australia the finacial and social cost of our current climate is one that cries out for any research that might help explain the situation and one that offers some hope for the future.

Some recent stories:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7499036.stm

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601081&sid=a399QOLd9KVI&refer=australia

and the following article about the sacrificial lambs, , read it and think about what it is actually saying:

http://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/nationalrural/livestock/sheep/lamb-production-hits-record-high/1239240.aspx

Stitch

_________________
Stitch
avatar
StitchExp626
Moderator

Number of posts : 790
Age : 43
Location : Melbourne Australia
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Steve

View user profile http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by wtfsignmeup on Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:32 am

Great post Stitch and I agree with everything you have written.
I haven't checked out the links yet but I will.

It has to be said though that a large part of our country is desert and that although its the longest drought in recorded history, we don't have a long history for comparisons.
Whether global warming is real or not, whether it is pollution, nature
or some other cause, it is important that this 'industry' does keep
researching the area
Exactly
Its true that the media love to exaggerate, but that doesn't negate the need for and results of research.
avatar
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Age : 49
Location : Oz
Humor : huh?
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by AngeloComet on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:33 pm

Well. . . never expected to kickstart such well-considered comments, and never really expected to find so much agreement.

Seems we are mostly a cynical lot, and that's fine with me!
avatar
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Age : 40
Location : Manchester, United Kingdom
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

View user profile http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Why "global warming" Gets Me Heated

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum