Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do your own beliefs tie in with Lost?

3 posters

Go down

How do your own beliefs tie in with Lost? Empty How do your own beliefs tie in with Lost?

Post by SunburnedPenguin Sat May 24, 2008 2:43 pm

It seems there is room within Lost for all beliefs, so how does your own tie in?

I have no title for my "religion" (for want of a better word) but some would call it Pagan, others spiritualism, and others would call it mystic sorcery.

I believe that there is no deity, but a universal force that cannot be pinned down and given a personality, a name, or an agenda. It is life, creation, beauty, love - and also death, destruction, horror and hate. It is something that exists on the quantum level and the universal. We are all made from the same stuff as everything that exists, everything breaks down to the same building blocks. We are all connected to this force and can not only feel it, we can manipulate it with our beliefs.

I also believe that every religious person who prays - whatever that religion may be - and every person who uses spells, positive thinking, faith healing, etc etc, are all doing the same thing just with different methods. We all have an intent and a will for something while we perform these rituals, whether that be for a better life or for a family dog to get better, and that intent is matched with an undying faith in the power of whatever deity or energy we believe in.

It is this faith, this KNOWING, that brings about change.

There is no doubting the power of prayer in my mind. I am not a Christian but many years ago, when I was a child and had Glandular Fever that took me 5 months to recover from, a local lady said that she would pray for me to get well again. I was raised by an atheist mother so the idea was new to me, but she spoke with such certainty that her prayers would help me, I believed it would work as a child believes santa is coming. I started recovering much quicker and I maintain to this day that it was her prayers, and my belief in those prayers, that helped me. That doesn't mean I think there was a deity helping me, but it was the BELIEF that helped me.

Faith healing (IMHO) is not God or magic, or manipulation of energies, or anything else that it is stated to be - it is the belief of the recipient that it will work that makes it work.

So what i'm trying to say is that it is our own minds that can change our lives and the lives of others. It is our own perceptions of reality that shape the world around us. It is our own intent and conviction that determines where life will take us next.

I also think that we are coming very close to seeing this - with the modern thinking on quantum physics and meta-physics we are seeing a new universe through new eyes, that wont have time for fairy-tales and metaphorical ancient stories, but who will see the science of belief.

So how does this tie in with Lost and how I see it? Its all about the magic box........

Last edited by SunburnedPenguin on Sat May 24, 2008 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to spellcheck :))
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

How do your own beliefs tie in with Lost? Empty Re: How do your own beliefs tie in with Lost?

Post by AngeloComet Sat May 24, 2008 3:30 pm

The more Lost goes on, the more I feel the show takes a look at my beliefs, considers them primly, and then says, "Nope. Not interesting enough. We want something more."
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

How do your own beliefs tie in with Lost? Empty Re: How do your own beliefs tie in with Lost?

Post by MollyCocktail Sat May 24, 2008 5:38 pm

The more I watch LOST the more confident I feel about my ideas.
I'm not a religious person but I have strong personal feelings about hope. I think the show re-enforces this line of thinking even if it is fiction.
MollyCocktail
MollyCocktail
Others

Number of posts : 325
Humor : Insane
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jacob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down