Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The winter Jacket

+7
Veefre
AngeloComet
puchita
Lateralus
Caged_Faraday
DCLostie
mygrandmagotmeintolost
11 posters

Go down

The winter Jacket Empty The winter Jacket

Post by mygrandmagotmeintolost Fri May 30, 2008 5:01 pm

I think that dharma knew of the wheel. That is why the winter jacket was in the locker. You can't tell me that they just got lucky and built it in the right spot they knew what they were doing, when they built that station. I think they used the islands powers if you will to do the bunny trick was is very cool. I am not to sure yet if they moved the island in the sense of to a new location as to a new space and time. I know that sounds nuts but, you really have to apply the bunny rule to it. Long live the frozen donkey wheel
mygrandmagotmeintolost
mygrandmagotmeintolost
Tailie

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Ben

http://www.octagonglobalrecruiting.com/

Back to top Go down

The winter Jacket Empty Re: The winter Jacket

Post by DCLostie Fri May 30, 2008 5:40 pm

Not to mention that a tunnel system was dug, complete with ladders, leading to the Frozen Donkey Wheel. I think Dharma ran cables from the energy source (exotic matter) to their Orchid station machines. They didn't mess with the source, just ran "silly experiments" with small doses of this negatively charged exotic matter energy. The existence of the Dharka proves that Dr. Hallowax went down into the frozen depths of the island.

Perhaps before the DI came to the island, the area where the Wheel was wasn't frozen, and the exotic matter energy was flowing freely as the machinary of the island worked. Then Dharma decided to limit the flow of the energy in order to study and experiment on it. They froze the island machinary to stop it from working in the same way Michael, Des, and Jin used liquid nitrogen to stop the bomb from working. The freezing of the islands machinary may have trapped Jacob in the quasi-state of existence that he's currently in. Ben did make a comment to Jacob while he was in the frozen wheel chamber. Perhaps Jacob's call of "help me" to Locke was asking Locke to "move the island" so that Jacob and his island's machinary could once again flow and move freely. Perhaps Ben never did it because he was unwilling to leave the island for Jacob's sake. This would lead Jacob to recruit a new favorite son in Locke, and would also explain how the island/Jacob seem to be punishing and disfavoring Ben such as stopping his visions, giving him a spinal tumor, and letting his daughter be killed.
DCLostie
DCLostie
Flight Attendant

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Caged_Faraday Fri May 30, 2008 5:44 pm

DCLostie wrote:Dharka
I'm just laughing my ass of at Dharma Parka / Dharka. lol!
Caged_Faraday
Caged_Faraday

Number of posts : 660
Humor : Bitterly sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Character sheet
Name: Cagey

http://ianscott76.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lateralus Fri May 30, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm just glad i won't have to read any more "Ben teleported to the Arctic where a polar bear cut him" theories..
Lateralus
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 526
Humor : "I hate you Milkman Dan"
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Lateralus Finn

Back to top Go down

Post by puchita Fri May 30, 2008 6:00 pm

I like the idea of keeping the machinery frozen to contain its power and to contain jacob, DC.

Did you notice that once bBen started turning the wheel it almost looked like it was warming up? It had a glow to it.
puchita
puchita
Others

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DCLostie Fri May 30, 2008 10:02 pm

Not only did light seem to eminate from the machine one Ben turned the wheel, but you could hear gears moving, and once the machine got going you heard and saw very large, loud, fast vibration type movements that can only be described a creating a Casimir Effect for the entire island.
DCLostie
DCLostie
Flight Attendant

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Sat May 31, 2008 9:51 am

DCLosties:
you heard and saw very large, loud, fast vibration type movements that can only be described a creating a Casimir Effect for the entire island.

For when no other adjective will do, use "Casimir Effect"!

lol!

Anyway - I would agree Dharma knew about, and perhaps built, the frozen donkey wheel. Although I wonder if it was just a mechanism designed around an existing phenomena.

Like, fire existed before we invented matches. But matches are a nice easy way for us to make fire.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Veefre Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:58 am

Oh, yes, it sounded like every other Casimir Effect I've ever heard...

;-)
Veefre
Veefre
Tailie

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Veefre Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:59 am

By the way, did anybody else notice that the floor of the Frozen Donkey Wheel chamber was strewn with what looked like... rabbit droppings?
Veefre
Veefre
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by l337Jacqui Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:04 am

Haha! I didn't notice that! I'll look for that when I watch it again tonight Neutral
l337Jacqui
l337Jacqui
Others

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:21 am

puchita wrote:I like the idea of keeping the machinery frozen to contain its power and to contain jacob, DC.

Did you notice that once bBen started turning the wheel it almost looked like it was warming up? It had a glow to it.

Yes I did notice that the light was a golden color and radiating out from under where all the icicles (styrofoam) were that Ben was scraping off with the metal bar.
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Number of posts : 225

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Veefre Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:53 am

Back to the subject of cold... there was a PBS special on the efforts to explore the lowest possible temperatures - sort of like the history of cold. At extremely low temps, such as 1 degree Kelvin or lower (near absolute zero) matter starts behaving strangely - defying gravity, maybe even getting into a quantum state.

Perhaps the extreme cold of the Donkey chamber facilitates the "exotic" state of matter as well. But I can think of no explanation for the source of the perpetual cold... it's quite unnatural, especially since it occurs underground at the peak of a volcanic mountain in the tropics. But I'm sure someone will think of something.
Veefre
Veefre
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by lockeko Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:15 am

Good point Veefre, I read something about that special the other day and instantly thought of Lost. I thought the warming up we witnessed was Ben seeing the Tunisian Desert he was about to find himself in.

Question: my research on the Casimir Effect and the Philadelphia Experiment led me to an errant conclusion. I thought that the effect would allow for transportation, but then it brought back the people and ship that experienced the phenomenon, meaning that the effect was a short term side effect of the electromagnetic experimentation that was going on. I suppose that I was either wrong or the writers have purposely ignored that for the sake of their fiction.

lockeko
Tailie

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by lockeko Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:16 am

After the finale I am convinced the writers are no longer trying to reach the average tv viewer who doesn't post on internet boards prior to watching the show. How many non Lost site readers/posters, had any notion of the casimir effect prior to the finale. I think they are now catering to the hardcore fans, and in doing so are losing part of what drew all of us to the show in the first place.

lockeko
Tailie

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by l337Jacqui Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:30 am

Haha yeah, we love it, but it kinda stinks because some regular viewers (like my boyfriend's 86 year old grandma who watched it) doesn't watch it anymore because she said she lost interest with all the flash-forwards and flash-backs getting too confusing. It kinda stinks because I would talk to her about the show all the time! Oh well...
l337Jacqui
l337Jacqui
Others

Number of posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:21 am

Hasn't the show picked up its ratings in America though? I mean, it certainly plays to its core audience (and if their anything like my fiancee she would have thrown in the towel a while back if it weren't for me dragging her along) but it's still keeping the more casual viewers interested.

So long as they don't lose track of the characters, and give them personal stories to engage in alongside all the mythological and science business then the show will continue to succeed. It's walking a fine line, always has, and maybe it is starting to teeter a little. . .?
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:43 am

lockeko wrote:After the finale I am convinced the writers are no longer trying to reach the average tv viewer who doesn't post on internet boards prior to watching the show. How many non Lost site readers/posters, had any notion of the casimir effect prior to the finale. I think they are now catering to the hardcore fans, and in doing so are losing part of what drew all of us to the show in the first place.

I dont think so personally. I think the casual viewer will easily follow the story - "ooooh look he turned a big wheel that moved the island" is pretty believable in a fiction sci-fi sense, to the casual viewer it doesn't have to have a logical explanation. Its only us nutters that have to know HOW and WHY Smile

Besides, catering to the hardcore theorist fans is pretty ground-breaking IMO, always giving us something to chew on. It would be so much easier for the writers to just tell a story and leave out all the clues and eggs and still have mystery, but they dont take the easy option....and they have my respect for that.
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Veefre Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:59 am

CosmicJewels wrote:
puchita wrote:I like the idea of keeping the machinery frozen to contain its power and to contain jacob, DC.

Yes I did notice that the light was a golden color and radiating out from under where all the icicles (styrofoam) were that Ben was scraping off with the metal bar.

It's a well-known fact that if you turn a papier mache wheel embedded in a wall of styrofoam, the static electricity will build until the point that old Walmart receipts stored in cubbyholes on the other side of the wall will spontanteously ignite and give off a strange orange glow.
Veefre
Veefre
Tailie

Back to top Go down

The winter Jacket Empty Dharka?

Post by Veefre Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:00 am

Yes, Dharka is a good word.

I just thought of another one: Hoodhie.
Veefre
Veefre