Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sarah Palin

+8
tracker
CosmicJewels
Shamballa
katesawjack
MyStarbuckHatesLost
JWLost
John_Vee
blonde
12 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sarah Palin - Page 3 Empty Re: Sarah Palin

Post by JWLost Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:24 pm

Right! Experience isn't everything though, but what McCain needed to do was pick someone who knew what the hell they are doing when it comes to economics. That is what McCain admits he lacks in and something he should have found in a VP.

Look at Obama, he apparently is criticized for not having enough foreign relation experience. So, what did he do? He went out and got the toughest, brightest and most qualified candidate when it comes to foreign experience. What I like about his choice in Biden is that Biden doesn't take any crap from countries who are overstepping their bounds. He has come right out and told Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic a "criminal of war" right to his face when everyone else was side-stepping the issue. However, he may have strong words and doesn't take no guff, he does it all in a diplomatic way.

McCain just made a horribly poor decision and he has to live with it now.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Number of posts : 388
Humor : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Character sheet
Name: Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:15 am

Obama picked a real gem of a running mate...

Biden supported going to war in Iraq. Then he flip flopped and was against the troop surge which has worked brilliantly by the way. Oh yeah, he has also made some racist remarks, but he gets a pass because he's a democrat. Anyone else would have been run out of town on a rail but they know this guy's an idiot. Now that's hypocrisy. But don't take my word for it...

One political commentator summed it up pretty well...

"Just let Joe Biden talk. He loves to hear himself. He'll single handedly screw things up for the Dems if they'll just let him run his mouth."

Go Biden, go! LMAO!
Shamballa
Shamballa

Number of posts : 621
Humor : Only on Tuesdays
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Mat Deade

http://shamballa108.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:23 am

I'm curious. Who actually voted in the last election and who is going to vote come November? Yes I did and yes I will.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:56 am

Shamballa wrote:I'm curious. Who actually voted in the last election and who is going to vote come November? Yes I did and yes I will.
I did and I will and I will always. Come hell or high water.
Point well made.
But Sham.....being a democrat is sooooooooooooooooo cooooooooooool!
P Diddy told me to rock the vote.

I don't read the far-left rhetoric...it is just a result of what hapens when people lack power. Take it from this guy...
Sarah Palin - Page 3 Art.lieberman.rnc.gi

Last edited by blonde on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
blonde
blonde
Others

Number of posts : 437
Humor : +1
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Tallulah-Raye

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:08 am

I didn't vote last election actually... I was out of the country and it was just too damn hard to get the ballot and all that. Besides, I didn't like either candidate... I know, no excuse is a good one. I did, however, vote for GW Bush 8 years ago. I was only 18... so don't hold it against me. Haha, joking!!! I did like him back then, but then it got out of hand...

Sham: You are right about Biden... he does talk way too freakin' much and he doesn't know when to shut up. He digs himself into holes without thinking. He flip-flopped on a few issues, I will grant you that, however, McCain and Obama have equally flip-flopped on about the same amount of issues. I hate flip floppers.

Here is a question for all of you... Wouldn't you think it would make more sense for the candidates to announce their Cabinet selections prior to election? I say this because the actual president doesn't make all the decisions... his cabinet does with their advice and what not... soooo as a voter, I would LOVE to find out who McCain and Obama plan on putting in the Oval Office alongside of them. I never understood why it isn't the norm or required for them to announce who will be on their team.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:13 am

JWLost wrote:I didn't vote last election actually... I was out of the country and it was just too damn hard to get the ballot and all that. .

JW, good for you for being honest (a trait worth mentioning) XXXOOO
With that said, I think Sham made his point.
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:25 am

LoL, thanks Blonde... but you didn't quote that I voted Republican 8 years ago!!! I am just out to clear my name of being extremely liberal or republican... I'm a middleman... I'm the Boone between Locke and Jack... the Juliet between the Others and the Losties... the constant between the island and the real world...

I think my point is made.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:59 am

JWLost wrote:I didn't vote last election actually... I was out of the country and it was just too damn hard to get the ballot and all that. Besides, I didn't like either candidate... I know, no excuse is a good one. I did, however, vote for GW Bush 8 years ago. I was only 18... so don't hold it against me. Haha, joking!!! I did like him back then, but then it got out of hand...

Sham: You are right about Biden... he does talk way too freakin' much and he doesn't know when to shut up. He digs himself into holes without thinking. He flip-flopped on a few issues, I will grant you that, however, McCain and Obama have equally flip-flopped on about the same amount of issues. I hate flip floppers.

Here is a question for all of you... Wouldn't you think it would make more sense for the candidates to announce their Cabinet selections prior to election? I say this because the actual president doesn't make all the decisions... his cabinet does with their advice and what not... soooo as a voter, I would LOVE to find out who McCain and Obama plan on putting in the Oval Office alongside of them. I never understood why it isn't the norm or required for them to announce who will be on their team.

I like you JW. We may not agree on all the issues but that's OK. It's great to talk politics without letting it get personal. It's cool that you are keeping things real with a sense of humor. I also agree with Blonde's sentiment - thanks for being honest.

Now my turn to be honest. Bush wasn't my first choice either time, but given the alternatives I felt I had no choice. The lesser of two evils line of thinking. I suppose I could have written in my vote but it's too late now. Anywho, I feel pretty much the same about the choices this year. McCain is a fine man and I appreciate his service and honesty, but there's something about him that keeps me from supporting him 100%.

As far as Biden goes, I have listened to him quite a few times on meet the press with Tim Russert. Believe it or not I actually like the guy. He says what's on his mind even though it may get him into hot water and I can respect that. He may not be the sharpest tack in the box but then this is politics not brain surgery we are talking about.

I think announcing cabinet members could be a help or hindrance. In Obama's case it could potentially help. The problem is the inevitable scrutiny of those chosen. Their pasts, both political and private, would all come into play in the decision making processes of the voters. It's a risky proposition.

To me it comes down to who among the candidates for president (not vice president) has the most experience overall. Not who is the most articulate, best looking, or most popular. I hope that all would vote their conscience.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:18 am

Did anyone see Giuliani's speech tonight? All I have to say is what a horrible speech and demonstration of petty politics... I used to love this guy when I was a New Yorker and thought he did a great job after 9/11 (to a point)...

All his speech did was defend every single one of Obama's statements against McCain with an immature joke or belittlement of Obama. Granted, he made some good points, but I felt like I was watching a bully make fun of someone behind their back.

In fact, that has been the platform that the RNC has ran on so far. The DNC did poke fun at McCain, but not half as bad as the RNC is beating on Obama. The DNC made fun of Bush a lot though, but still... they didn't flat out attack McCain. Actually, the DNC commended McCain a few times... you didn't see any kind words towards Obama tonight.

NOW ON TO THE MORE PRESSING ISSUE: SARAH!!!

I have to say, wow. Wow. Seriously, she is one of the best speakers that I have ever seen. She knows how to get you to like her, no doubt about that. For the most part, the things she said were accurate and well said. However, she was actually wrong about some of the facts she saida bout Obama. Nothing too major though. She was right about Obama's business tax hike, but the rest of the taxes he wants to raise are of the top earning 5% of Americans. I don't disagree with that.

One thing that I did not like that she said was this: "Once he is done turning back the waters and healing the Earth..." she referred to Obama as thinking of himself as God. That is a low blow... One other thing I didn't like was her comment about how Obama refuses to use the word "victory" when coming to the wars in the mid-east... Well, I got news for you, the last time anyone used the word "Victory" in Iraq it came back to bite him in the ass (cough BUSH). Honestly, we haven't won anything over there. She then later went on to say "almost have a victory in Iraq." The journalism major in me wants to ask her "Where do you think we have had a victory in the middle east?" She would answer something with Iraq. Then I would say, "Didn't you just say ALMOST have a victory in Iraq?"
Lastly, her attack on the media, once again the journalism major in me, was uncalled for. Doesn't she know the Republicans and media are on bad terms and they need someone in there who knows how to use the media to their benefit? Media can benefit you, you dumbass... I would have loved it if all the networks would have turned their cameras off after her attack on them. That would have showed her.

Overall, I liked what she said, but I don't trust her any more than I would trust Hurley near an Apollo bar after a 2 day hike through the jungle.

Brian Williams said it right when he said that "Giuliani's speech was presented in a mocking tone towards Obama." I think that is the basic feel of the whole of the RNC, but the Repubs are known for their harsh words and mean spirited attacks. I kinda like it though because it adds some fun drama to the whole thing.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:04 am

"Once he is done turning back the waters and healing the Earth..." she referred to Obama as thinking of himself as God. That is a low blow...
Palin was referring to an Obama speech where he said the following:

"If we are willing to work for it and fight for it and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs for the jobless. This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal. This was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on earth. This was the moment, this was the time when we came together so remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves and our highest ideals. Thank you, Minnesota! God bless you. God bless the United States of America."

Sarah Palin - Page 3 Charlton_heston_plays_moses
(I had to do it! LOL!)

I mean come on. Comments like that are just ripe for the picking. You know if the shoe were on the other foot that Biden would be all over it like a cheap suit! Out of context? Sure. Out of bounds? Not so much. It's what VP's do.

I thought she did a great job. Not bad for a rookie.

Last edited by Shamballa on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:49 am

Shammmmmm the image isn't loading for me! I want to know what the hell it is!

I agree, she did well, really well... but I still don't want to see her potentially sitting behind the desk in the oval office.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:46 am

A very interesting discussion.....I dont know much about US politics and I think the best way to learn is through discussions like this, by real people with real opinions.

What does worry me is how much of an impact US politics has on the rest of the world. It effects us all, so I really should learn more about it.

Thanks for opening my eyes a little guys and gals Smile
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:00 pm

JWLost wrote:Shammmmmm the image isn't loading for me! I want to know what the hell it is!

I agree, she did well, really well... but I still don't want to see her potentially sitting behind the desk in the oval office.

I found one that worked. Smile
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tracker Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:17 pm

I questioned her as pick as VP but after watching her speech, I almost stood up and cheered.

No doubt Mcain knew what he was doing. That woman has charisma.

Giuliani always has been, and always will be, a bully. I am a former New Yorker. Before 911, everyone in NYC hated him. He rode that day onto the national stage. Critics of his Presidential campaign said he had 911 tourettes.
tracker
tracker
Others

Number of posts : 237
Humor : Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns.......Archie Bunker
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Sham: Hahaha, nice find on the picture!!!

SBP: American Politics are like a long drawn out Soap Opera. Characters that die always come back, there is usually a form of amnesia when it comes to a character making a clean slate, the most powerful guys with money end up making life hell for those who don't, there is also an affair involved somewhere in the character's history and finally... there is always a cat-fight and someone gets thrown into the pool. Ok, the last one isn't true, but I'd love to see McCain and Obama slap eachother across the face, pull eachothers hair and fall into a pool in their suits.

Tracker: Giuliani... I actually always like him until he ran for president. He is a fool. Yes, Pallin did what she was supposed to do, she sucked you in and now you want to go have a beer with her.

I think that in the short run, McCain's choice of Palin could work for him. She could actually get him the votes he needs to win, however, in the long run she will be bad news for him. What I have come to realize is that he doesn't care about the long run as long as he gets into the White House. I guess that is just how it works in Politics whether or not you're a Dem, Rep, or even Ind.

She can get the votes because she tells it how it is and is a tough cookie (a strong female candidate with a mission), but she is young and pretty (counteracts McCain's situation and makes the shallow men like her more... and shallow women too), and she really knows how to let her hair down and talk like shes talking directly to you.... that appeals to everyone. Now... that will win the votes, but still... I never want to see her as our president... not until she proves otherwise.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tracker Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:10 pm

JW,

I was commenting more on her delivery than anything else. I am very aware of the manipulation factor involved by ALL the candidates. Every one of them has speech writers, voice coaches and have their speeches taped and analysed long before we see it.

But I wouldn't mind having several beers with her either.
tracker
tracker
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:14 pm

Tracker: I actually heard/read that Palin's speech wasn't the speech that the Repubs agreed on. They "OKed" a much lighter speech with less "red meat" but she went ahead with her version and said what she wanted to say. Now, that is an admirable quality, but at the same time shows that she doesn't have any regard for her peer's advice, which isn't good news for the Repubs this early in the game.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tracker Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:19 pm

I think it would be dangerous for her to say things without the approval of McCain and his campaign advisors. I'm pretty sure they would have to approve any changes on her part.
tracker
tracker
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:58 pm

tracker wrote:I think it would be dangerous for her to say things without the approval of McCain and his campaign advisors. I'm pretty sure they would have to approve any changes on her part.
no doubt Tracker.
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:02 pm

No, I wasn't saying she totally changed the speech, she just added things in there like the "community leader" jab, which I found kind of clever. She didn't go renegade or anything, but she spiced it up from what was agreed upon. I don't think it was a bad thing, it showed her true character which is refreshing. I admire her a little more by not allowing herself to be bound by those who want to shape her into something she's not.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by vincentthedog Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:34 pm

I loved the speech! I`m keeping an open mind in this election and can`t wait for the debates but last night was one of the greatest speeches I have heard.
vincentthedog
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire

Character sheet
Name: Vlad Táltos

http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Post by tracker Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:46 pm

I think the debates are going to be terrific! When the real questions come in, we should be better able to evaluate the candidates. No more cream puff questions.

I'm curious to see how quick Sarah is on her feet. I was impressed last night, but that was a speech.
tracker
tracker
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by vincentthedog Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:25 pm

I have read that the telepropter went down and she had to improve. If thatan improve I`m really impressed!
vincentthedog
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire

Character sheet
Name: Vlad Táltos

http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:45 am

vincentthedog wrote:I have read that the telepropter went down and she had to improve. If thatan improve I`m really impressed!

That's the word on the street. I'm doubly impressed now.
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamballa Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:49 am

JWLost wrote:I didn't vote last election actually... I was out of the country and it was just too damn hard to get the ballot and all that. Besides, I didn't like either candidate... I know, no excuse is a good one. I did, however, vote for GW Bush 8 years ago. I was only 18... so don't hold it against me. Haha, joking!!! I did like him back then, but then it got out of hand...

That's not a valid excuse for not voting my lad! I used the absentee ballad when I was floored up in the hospital for 4 weeks getting some new bone marrow. Cool
Shamballa
Shamballa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content