Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rings

5 posters

Go down

Rings Empty Rings

Post by CosmicJewels Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:41 pm

I had some thoughts about rings after seeing one of the last scenes with Sun talking to Widmore. Her wedding ring is clearly visible (would be her left hand) as she's speaking on her cell phone. I have a penchant for jewelry and noticed her ring had a round large stone, set in what appears to be gold, with smaller stones surrounding this center stone set in the band itself. I could not see it clearly however.

When she loses the ring on the Island it looked as if the ring was a solitaire (sans the smaller stones) and set in a white gold. (Jin is not with her at this time)

Her ring is stored in a plastic bag while she gives birth to her child.
again it looks as if it's a single stone set in white gold. (Jin is not there)

Then there is Charlie's ring. Much mention was made of him receiving it from his brother. He leaves it in Aaron's cradle when he thinks he's not coming back and the ring is left behind when the Island moves.

Rose said to Jack she "always" wore Bernard's ring when they flew because his fingers would swell. I didn't see it on her neck chain when she and Jack are speaking to each other on the plane however. (could have been the angle of the picture or her clothes covering it though).

Lapidus doens not think the body is that of the pilot, Seth, because he said Seth "always" wore his wedding ring and it was not there.

Anyone have any thoughts about this or know of previous discussion/s of rings?

Last edited by CosmicJewels on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Rings Empty Re: Rings

Post by blonde Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:56 pm

Certainly seems like it is worth the attention. Check lostpedia and lt & see what you come up with.
blonde
blonde
Others

Number of posts : 437
Humor : +1
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Tallulah-Raye

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:39 pm

Strange you bring this up, CJ.... in the last episode I wrote I had a scene where Bernard kisses his wedding ring when he is in an extreme panic mode. Why? I don't know... this leads me to think that maybe there is no significant reason for rings after all... rings are a very valuable part of human lives I suppose.

Also, if you want to be obvious, a ring symbolizes a special bond between two people and only those 2 people (the giver and the receiver). Maybe the writers just put rings in this to make a visual of that common bond?

Lastly, Blonde, why the heck is your "Sarah Palin" post locked?! I wanted to make a comment on your "independant (sure)" lol. I want you to know that I really am. I just voted in the last PA election for mainly Republicans... I swear! I really don't care about party politics! I just look for the best (wo)man for the job.
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Number of posts : 388
Humor : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Character sheet
Name: Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:08 pm

[quote="JWLost"]
Also, if you want to be obvious, a ring symbolizes a special bond between two people and only those 2 people (the giver and the receiver). Maybe the writers just put rings in this to make a visual of that common bond?
quote]

If an item can be a "Constant", for example the doll Annie gave to Ben, besides a person than rings may be constants as well. There was the photos of Seth with and without a ring in the same scene, a scene was written featuring Charlie's brother giving him the ring, time and other cast member such as Hurley, Locke, Kate and Jack trying to help Sun when she lost hers, and the writers also made a point of Rose holding Bernard's ring. Trying to figure out if there is more to it.

The ring that Sun was wearing while on the cell phone, right before she spoke to Widmore, appeared different to me than the one shown in the plastic bag the hospital put it in when she gave birth.

Ben said "no metal" in the Orchid station's cubbyhole time travely thing too.

Still doing more searching!
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:22 pm

blonde wrote:Certainly seems like it is worth the attention. Check lostpedia and lt & see what you come up with.

I already have done that extensively (yesterday) and was posting to see if anyone here had also discussed this or had an opinion.
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:10 am

Okay....CS...Just trying to be friendly.
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:11 am

blonde wrote:Okay....CS...Just trying to be friendly.
Thanks...........every little bit helps.
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:21 am

Hey JW...Sham is the man..talk to him...XXXOOO
blonde
blonde
Others

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by dabiatchishere Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi Cosmic, I do feel the rings represent some significance in the story line of the show, even though albeit small. I have not been able to come up with anything conclusive on the individual characters, unfortunately. I have not seen much written about it anywhere either, but do feel the writers may be drawing some inference from the symbolism.

Excellent catch!

This is what I have found on the symbolism. There is a wealth of information on the subject which I found quite interesting.

"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical
substances; if there is any reaction, both are transformed."

–C.G.
Jung

Rings have been exchanged as a symbol of the bond of marriage for so
long, and in so many different cultures, that the origin of the practice is
obscure. Certainly, the circle of a ring represents undying love and the
continually renewed vows of the married couple. Circles have long been
archetypes for not only timelessness, but also wholeness and homecoming. The
circle also speaks to the constant round of the heavens, as well as the eternal
return of the seasons, marked by cyclical ritual and celebration.
dabiatchishere
dabiatchishere
Others

Number of posts : 119
Humor : Outrageous!
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by JWLost Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:43 pm

DAB SAID:

"Circles have long been
archetypes for not only timelessness, but also wholeness and homecoming. The
circle also speaks to the constant round of the heavens"

Yep, that sums it up, I think. Good work in finding the right wording Dab!
JWLost
JWLost
Others

Number of posts : 388
Humor : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Character sheet
Name: Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:56 pm

dabiatchishere wrote:Hi Cosmic, I do feel the rings represent some significance in the story line of the show, even though albeit small. I have not been able to come up with anything conclusive on the individual characters, unfortunately. I have not seen much written about it anywhere either, but do feel the writers may be drawing some inference from the symbolism.

I too tend to think any story about rings is going to be a small part in the LOST puzzle. The only other ring "storyline" I've thought of would be Desmond buying the ring after Mrs. Hawkings tells him not to. He's determined to buy it. Changes or delays the outcomes of things down the road maybe? The thing that made me pick up on this was that the writers sprinkled the various characters receiving, losing, wearing them into small side stories during the course of the show.

We're re-watching different episodes during this long wait and you know I'll be checking for rings! Wink
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by dabiatchishere Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:03 pm

Aside of Charlie's ring, and the handing down of it, Rose adorns Bernard's ring on a chain around her neck. There is definitely the connection you make about Desmond buying the ring for Penny too. This is why I feel the symbolism is important.

I will also be watching for this 'ring phenomenon' when Lost airs on the Space Channel in September. You got me thinking now!! Let's see if we can make some connections with it! Smile
dabiatchishere
dabiatchishere
Others

Number of posts : 119
Humor : Outrageous!

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:53 pm

Rings 5-1423
Never ending on beginning,
On an ever-spinning reel
Like a snowball down a mountain,
Or a carnival balloon
Like a carousel that's turning
Running rings around the moon
Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
Past the minutes on its face
And the world is like an apple
Spinning silently in space
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind!

dabiatchishere wrote:Aside of Charlie's ring, and the handing down of it, Rose adorns Bernard's ring on a chain around her neck. There is definitely the connection you make about Desmond buying the ring for Penny too. This is why I feel the symbolism is important.

I will also be watching for this 'ring phenomenon' when Lost airs on the Space Channel in September. You got me thinking now!! Let's see if we can make some connections with it! Smile
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie79 Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:38 pm

Cosmic, that is a beautiful picture of entwined rings! I'd love to have a pendant like that. I'll be watching Lost from the beginning on the SciFi Channel in September, so I'll be looking for connections on the rings, too!
Annie79
Annie79
Others

Number of posts : 108
Humor : Any kind, at this point!!

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicJewels Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Annie79 wrote:Cosmic, that is a beautiful picture of entwined rings! I'd love to have a pendant like that. I'll be watching Lost from the beginning on the SciFi Channel in September, so I'll be looking for connections on the rings, too!

This is the site the photo is from. It is a beadwork site and has intructions about creating it.

http://www.beadingtimes.com/project1205.htm
CosmicJewels
CosmicJewels
Others

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie79 Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks, that's a great site. I don't know if I'm talented enough to create jewelry, but some of the instructions will sure help in repairing some of the jewelry I already have, without having to bring to a jeweler!
Annie79
Annie79
Others

Number of posts : 108
Humor : Any kind, at this point!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down