Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008

+18
Lateralus
MyStarbuckHatesLost
SomeArztOnYou
solarchap
PortRoyalWenk
spirit_of_jazz
vincentthedog
So_Lost
chirpey1987
Hope
Caged_Faraday
TheHolyStickman
SunburnedPenguin
puchita
AngeloComet
MollyCocktail
Lojozz
fivestades
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008 Empty Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008

Post by fivestades Thu May 29, 2008 4:54 pm

This is a brief version of an older theory that has been playing on my mind recently. Now we are a couple more series on, does it have any additional relevance?

Okay, The Numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42.
Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008 2533885196_8b3668b4b7
So Leonard has gone crazy and he keeps repeating the numbers whilst playing Connect Four. Connect four has 42 holes on a 6x7 grid.

When you plot the numbers on 'Connect Four' grid taking the bottom left as 1 and the top right as 42.......you get this.
Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008 2533071665_2c030031d9

Looking at the numbers on the diagram we get a nice image of the Big Dipper, Ursa Major. The image of the night sky in the above pic is taken from Lost 'special' the scene right after Michael and Locke have saved Walt from the bear. The shot lingers on the clear constellation for a moment.

The shot of the Big Dipper in 'Special' is intriguingly reversed/mirrored. I have considered things like production errors, optical glass reversal but I found this interesting quote:

“Five of the stars of the Big Dipper are at the core of the Ursa Major Moving Group. The two at the ends, Dubhe and Alkaid, are not part of the swarm, and are moving in the opposite direction. Relative to the central five, they are moving down and to the right in the map. This will slowly change the Dipper’s shape, roughly In 50,000 years the Dipper will no longer exist as we know it, but be re-formed into a new Dipper facing the opposite way!"

Below is the correct dipper as visible in the current northern hemisphere.(plus the reversed number plotting)
Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008 2533885096_97b0a21ea9_m

Also worth a mention that if playing Connect four, one players 1 is another players 37.

We have seen the numbers on another 6x7 grid too.
Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008 2533071595_586d7810fd

We were reminded of connect four in the first episode of S4 'The Beginning of the end'.
Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008 2533885130_eed2741c05
Looks like Santa Rosa have a brand new board.

Now we are more accepting of time change potential and the idea that game play/rules are important............Any thoughts on the Connect four - Numbers - Dipper madness?

: )

fivestades
Tailie

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008 Empty Re: Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008

Post by Lojozz Thu May 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Five I loved this first time round and I think it now holds more merit. Not sure how it will tie in and I hope it isn't that the island is 50,000 years in the future.

Thanks for bringing it up again though I'm going to give it some more thought.
Lojozz
Lojozz

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Joe

http://www.prcanj.eu

Back to top Go down

Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008 Empty Re: Number Stars and Connect Four - Winner May 2008

Post by fivestades Thu May 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Yeah the 50,000 year thing makes my toes curl........but speaking of toes, could 50,000 years be enough for nature to rid us of a toe, I know my little toe looks like it's going out of fashion already.

Also the smoke monster clearly appears to be future technology, doesn't it? Maybe the island was cloaked by the future and booted into the past?? I've no idea.

Nice image you have there Lojozz, Subtle and Humble.

fivestades
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lojozz Thu May 29, 2008 5:18 pm

fivestades wrote:

Nice image you have there Lojozz, Subtle and Humble.

lol! It was actually designed by Shamballa and can only be used by the reining champ, when i get beaten I have to hand it over.
Lojozz
Lojozz

Number of posts : 388

Character sheet
Name: Joe

http://www.prcanj.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyCocktail Thu May 29, 2008 6:28 pm

I have seen this theory before and it still gives me chills.
Very very cool stuff.

Oh and nice avatar Lojozz!
Congrats!

Smile
MollyCocktail
MollyCocktail
Others

Number of posts : 325
Humor : Insane

Character sheet
Name: Jacob

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Thu May 29, 2008 7:03 pm

If this was intentional, it's very clever.

Personally, I think the Connect 4 game was there purely because it contained the number 4 in the game title, and thus could be linked to the Lost universe and the 4 8 15 16 23 42 numbers. You took this a (better) step further; I don't think the creators went as deep with it.

I am rather cynical, though.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by puchita Thu May 29, 2008 7:21 pm

If you arrange the numbers on the grid some other way you would be able to make the dipper point in the right direction.

I dont know that it has as much significance as you've suggested. I think the writers like to play with ideas, repeat it throughout the show and see if anyone caught it. This is a great catch though. I like how you noticed the numbers were set up in a grid like the connect four game.
puchita
puchita
Others

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Thu May 29, 2008 7:43 pm

I really like this! It makes sense, and I have to wonder how the constellation was reversed in the show - is it something that could have been an error or was it intentional?

I know nothing about TV production, filming etc, but I do know a photographic camera captures an image as it is and not reversed, as does a video camera, so I can only assume the same is true of TV film cameras. In which case......it has to be for a reason right? Why go to all that trouble otherwise?

It could ofcourse also be 50,000 years in the past, though I dont think we have ever had 4 toes Very Happy

I really like this.
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fivestades Thu May 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Interesting comments!

I forgot something. The odd sentence from a Darlton podcast.

“Somewhere just outside the Crab Nebula is where it will all end, geographically.”

Hmmmmm

fivestades
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Thu May 29, 2008 8:04 pm

I do like this theory. And it makes sense. But how would they explain that in the show. They couldnt exactly say, "Hey guys look at the big dipper it looks exactly like 4/8/15/16/23/42 on a connect four board. Im not dismissing your theory. And I think I missunderstood it. Also how did you come up with that idea??
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by Caged_Faraday Thu May 29, 2008 9:56 pm

puchita wrote:If you arrange the numbers on the grid some other way you would be able to make the dipper point in the right direction.

I dont know that it has as much significance as you've suggested. I think the writers like to play with ideas, repeat it throughout the show and see if anyone caught it. This is a great catch though. I like how you noticed the numbers were set up in a grid like the connect four game.
Well, remember Connect 4 is a 2 player game. If player 1 (Leonard) played the numbers, player 2 (Hurley) would view Ursa Major correctly.

But then again, the constellation is wrong in the night sky... reversed as view on the opposite side of a lense.
This could be intentional and major. Could that be a side effect the electromagnetic field / Faraday Cage / Swan Station shielding the island from the rest of the world? It is reasonable that such a devise could bend light (since light has an electromagnetic wavelength).
Caged_Faraday
Caged_Faraday

Number of posts : 660
Humor : Bitterly sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Character sheet
Name: Cagey

http://ianscott76.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyCocktail Thu May 29, 2008 10:40 pm

Caged_Faraday wrote:
puchita wrote:If you arrange the numbers on the grid some other way you would be able to make the dipper point in the right direction.

Well, remember Connect 4 is a 2 player game. If player 1 (Leonard) played the numbers, player 2 (Hurley) would view Ursa Major correctly.

But then again, the constellation is wrong in the night sky... reversed as view on the opposite side of a lense.
This could be intentional and major. Could that be a side effect the electromagnetic field / Faraday Cage / Swan Station shielding the island from the rest of the world? It is reasonable that such a devise could bend light (since light has an electromagnetic wavelength).

You make my brain hurt...in a good way.
Wink
MollyCocktail
MollyCocktail
Others

Number of posts : 325
Humor : Insane

Character sheet
Name: Jacob

Back to top Go down

Post by Caged_Faraday Thu May 29, 2008 10:47 pm

MollyCocktail wrote:You make my brain hurt...in a good way.
Wink
You know -- and not just limited to this site -- that's what I'm here for. Cool
Caged_Faraday
Caged_Faraday

Number of posts : 660
Humor : Bitterly sarcastic
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Character sheet
Name: Cagey

http://ianscott76.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope Fri May 30, 2008 1:03 am

This is intriguing. It can't be a mere coincidence can it? It is just to weird to be. I have always wondered if the writers picked these numbers randomly or if the numbers have always meant something, even if its not to us. This is cool.
Hope
Hope
Others

Number of posts : 189
Humor : Don't play leap frog with a unicorn

Character sheet
Name: Illiana Vess

Back to top Go down

Post by fivestades Sat May 31, 2008 6:56 pm

I can't claim to have discovered the connect four/numbers connection, I found the (second in my post) picture elsewhere!

I'll be interested to see if this goes anywhere, in the future.

; )

fivestades
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by chirpey1987 Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:03 pm

I thik that this is really intresting and it defo means something.
chirpey1987
chirpey1987
Others

Number of posts : 218
Humor : haha
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Amy-Louise

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:47 pm

Just read this again. I got it this time, your saying that the island is 5000 years forward or backward in time. But if this was supposed to indicate time difference there would be less subtle ones. I liked to see somemore like this 5stades. Good job.
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by So_Lost Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Wow, just when I told my husband this morning that there aren't a whole lot of new theories going around that truly intrigue me, I read this!

What if, rather than the island being 50,000 years in the future, it is just on the other side of the Big Dipper? Like, if you could go to the other side of the universe (?!) and look toward Earth, wouldn't the constellations be reversed? Like two players on either side of the Connect 4 board.

It makes no sense, and yet blows my mind... affraid
So_Lost
So_Lost
Lostie

Number of posts : 73
Humor : My Crazy Kids
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by vincentthedog Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:46 pm

good call!
vincentthedog
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Vlad Táltos

http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Post by spirit_of_jazz Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:53 am

so_lost, what you just said... was cool.

i don't know what exactly is going on with this thing, but still... cool.
spirit_of_jazz
spirit_of_jazz
Tailie

Number of posts : 26
Humor : "i cannot brain today, i have the dumb"
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by puchita Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Caged_Faraday wrote:

I do still like your theory. its a fun idea. you suggested that the constellation pattern reverses depending if your player1 or player2. It makes you think if the island parallels to that idea - perhaps on the island they are looking out at something, and off the island they are looking back at something - like if there were a bubble or big plexi glass Wink between the island and the rest of the world. That could explain why the constellation is reverse from the islands view. The losties are player1.
puchita
puchita
Others

Number of posts : 122

Back to top Go down

Post by PortRoyalWenk Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Good one. This kinda ties in with the one I have over at LT about leonard and the numbers....But this one is more plausable I think. I always thought the numbers and connect 4 were related somehow.....and this theory pretty much ties it together really well.
PortRoyalWenk
PortRoyalWenk
Tailie

Number of posts : 47
Humor : Dirty and sarcastic. God I love a good joke.
Registration date : 2008-05-17

http://www.myspace.com\portroyalwenk

Back to top Go down

Post by solarchap Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:11 am

FS,

I actually forgot to comment on your theory, I thought it was excellent and original, and you were up against stiff competition in the poll, and I congratulate you on your win.

I voted for the snowglobe, I really liked that, but all of theories were of a very high quality.

Anyway well done!
solarchap
solarchap
Others

Number of posts : 263
Humor : Lots

Character sheet
Name: Dirk Diggler

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeArztOnYou Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:40 pm

My only qualm with this is that the Island is in the South Pacific. How would they be seeing Ursa Major?
SomeArztOnYou
SomeArztOnYou
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 800
Humor : Dry

Character sheet
Name: Otto Hanren

http://www.myspace.com/lawnmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:40 pm

Well perhaps they saw Ursa Major from the island's PREVIOUS location. Like when it was in the mid Atlantic and people thought it was Atlantis...hmmm I sense a theory coming on.
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.
Registration date : 2008-05-14

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next