Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Anti Anti-Season 4 Finale Rant

+13
Hope
vincentthedog
MollyCocktail
Lateralus
chirpey1987
wtfsignmeup
GaryOC
Irocz28
SunburnedPenguin
SomeArztOnYou
MyStarbuckHatesLost
Lojozz
AngeloComet
17 posters

Go down

The Anti Anti-Season 4 Finale Rant Empty The Anti Anti-Season 4 Finale Rant

Post by AngeloComet Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:04 pm

The backlash has begun. The ‘fans’ are upset. They’ve got quibbles and complaints. The Season 4 finale let them down, or didn’t deliver as much as they hoped, or was frustrating in its execution, or. . . Well, the backlash against the backlash starts here. You got a problem with the Season 4 finale, you’ve got a problem with me! I’m gonna put myself right in your face and tell you what’s what and, damn it, you’re gonna sit there and take it.

Let’s start with the end. With the complaints that the final scene showing Locke in the coffin wasn’t as momentous as the likes of the Listening Post of Season 2, or the “We have to go back!” of Season 3. Oh yeah? You didn’t like that? Well I hope you weren’t one that has been engaged in the enormous debate about ‘who’s in the coffin’!

That’s what they’ve been asked, constantly, Lindehof and Cuse. Everywhere they’ve gone since the end of Season 3. “Who’s in the coffin? Who’s in the coffin?” It’s been debated ad infinitum online, so pardon those guys for thinking it was something the fans were really caught up in. Excuse them for thinking it would be a massive reveal that would give the rabid fans what they were most after!

You kept asking for it. So they gave it to you. You don’t like it!? **** you!

And whilst you’re getting mealy-mouthed about how all that business with Charlotte was irritating, and how time travel has been introduced into the show even though the creators said it wasn’t, maybe you’re ignoring the fact that a knockout episode was taking place for people that like to, ah, you know, sit and watch good television.

Sayid and Keamy’s fight? Ace. If you weren’t rooting for Sayid during that scrap, willing him on, I don’t know where your head’s at. Hurley’s face in the helicopter when it was too heavy and losing fuel? Heartbreaking. But then Sawyer triumphantly leaped out like a hero of all heroes, taking Kate’s heart in a kiss. And speaking of kisses, Desmond and Penny re-uniting was an outstanding ‘at last!’ moment.

And what about that whole entire Freighter explosion sequence? Wow. Michael Giacchino flexed his orchestral muscle (maybe you’ve not noticed, but Lost has the best original score on television and the finale soundtrack was top class) to ramp up the excitement. Desmond’s “Bloody hell” as the helicopter came in to land cued up the most nerve-shredding rush to get some gas in the tank and take-off, leaving a frantic, arms-waving Jin to explode to the screams of Sun’s shock and horror.

Yeah. Crap finale episode indeed.

We were also given The Orchid station. Again, something the fans have been clamouring for Lost delivered to us. But maybe you were bummed out too much about why The Others could kill all Keamy’s men when the Black Smoke couldn’t! (For the record, there’s an arguably good case as to why that was.)

And for all the complaints about the ‘frozen donkey wheel’ sequence being poor and unconvincing, I thought it was wrenching. Ben’s pain was there for all to see as he put on the coat and injured his arm, pulling together the pieces so we knew where he was going before he did! Didn’t you comprehend the sacrifice Ben made – has been making for quite a number of episodes – that only really presented itself right at that key point. And then the Island did move – in a massive white light and a silent sonic boom. People even moan about that! What did you expect to happen when Locke said he was going to ‘move the Island’? That it chug through the sea like an ocean liner!?

You do realise that this finale has now poised the action to begin anywhere? When Season 5 starts I don’t have the faintest idea where it will begin from! Previously we knew it had to pick up the action – be it with Jack and Locke looking down the hatch or finishing a distress call to an off-shore Freighter – each new season had to continue from where the previous one left. Not this time. This time the show can start anywhere. On the Island (where is it? when is it?)? In the flashforwards (who with? at what point?)? Anywhere.

You don’t find that exciting? Look, you do like Lost, right? I mean, you don’t just watch the show so it can prove some obscure theory you made correct? You do watch it because you’re interested in its amazing fusion of outlandish, large-scale concept against a collection of personal, three-dimensional character stories? (On the subject of character - Juliet not to be trusted. Discuss.)

Just checking.

The fact that the episode ended with so many talking points and unanswered questions and scope for conjecture is a good thing. What else are we going to do until 2009? If you think this finale was a failure, perhaps you should go and watch Heroes. They do the best finales, don’t you know?

Last edited by AngeloComet on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Anti Anti-Season 4 Finale Rant Empty Re: The Anti Anti-Season 4 Finale Rant

Post by Lojozz Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:33 pm

Nice work AC, I had a couple of niggles with the finale but on the whole thought it was pretty good.
Lojozz
Lojozz

Number of posts : 388

Character sheet
Name: Joe

http://www.prcanj.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Agreed Lojozz. Aside from some minor nits to pick I thought it was pretty good overall.

And I agree AC about the scene with Ben turning the wheel...him almost in tears was a great moment as was Des and Penny finding each other.

And, quite frankly, it wasn't on par with last season's flash forward ending. But it was a different kind of cliff hanger. Last year's finale set up this year's big "who's on the freighter" storyline. We knew there was going to be a confrontation and that it wouldn't be good for the Losties. This year's finale set up plot arcs that are nowhere near as predictable. This was the proverbial hitting of the reset button on the series and many people aren't comfortable with massive changes in "their" show.

Battlestar Galactica went through the same thing after it's third season when the show jumped forward a whole year and most of the people from the fleet were living on a planet. A lot of BSG fans didn't like that but it lead to some of the finest televison ever shown.

People like what they like. But I guarantee that by 2010 everyone who didn't care for the finale will see this show in the context of the WHOLE series and feel a lot differently about it.

I enjoyed the finale...but the frozen wheel was a pretty shabby prop.
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.
Registration date : 2008-05-14

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeArztOnYou Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:05 pm

I was not disappointed, but I'm gonna play Devil's advocate here for a second...kinda.

I think part of why people were disappointed was this: for as many questions and loose ends that do still remain after that finale, a lot of things were answered. The whole season has been rather cyclical, filling in what led up to all the flash-forwards we've been seeing, then ending up right where we left off in the previous season's finale. I think what's got some people feeling let down is that we're now well over halfway through the entire series, and the show that always leaves you hanging, wondering what the hell just happened, is being forced to close some of the gaps. Yes, there are still loads of things we still want to know, but a lot of those things we wondered have now been revealed. And that's the issue: the excitement a lot of people get from the show is in the mystery - wondering how it's going to play out. Now some of these things are no longer mysteries. The anticipation was what a lot of people were latching onto, and now a lot of it is gone - those scenes we'd played out in our heads and on the boards (The Orchid, The freighter exploding, Penny and Des reuniting, the 6 being rescued, who's in the coffin, etc.) are now set in stone. No more theorizing how those will play out.

Well, you silly people, it had to happen sometime. It might not have happened just the way you'd envisioned, but if it had, the guy next to you would have been disappointed.
SomeArztOnYou
SomeArztOnYou
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 800
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Character sheet
Name: Otto Hanren

http://www.myspace.com/lawnmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Three cheers from me AC! cheers cheers cheers

I thought it was awesome and tbh have never cared about props and special effects - its the acting and the story which I latch onto and I was not disappointed. Hurley's face in the copter made me go all gooey and I wanted to give him a big hug the poor love. And I agree with you about Ben too, wow I would never have thought I would be feeling this way about Ben, but I think he is the hero of Season 4.

I am left feeling like the questions I wanted answered have been answered, and now we have new questions to debate such as how did the island move, when was Charlotte on the island before, what is Sun up to etc etc. This is much more than satisfying.

I am pretty sure that next season will see Ben leading the O6 and trying to get them back to the island, set to the backdrop of assassinations , plots and even more intrigue. I cant wait, I really cant, and that is because of this finale Smile
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Irocz28 Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:50 am

Bingo AC! With the exception of TTLG (which IMHO will never be topped) this was by far the best finale. I agree with everything you have said.

And I loved the shot at Heroes at the end. I invest 23 hours of my life into Season 1 just to see a guy explode. Gimme a break.
Irocz28
Irocz28
Others

Number of posts : 226
Humor : Seinfeld, Seinfeld, Seinfeld
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Character sheet
Name: Frogurt

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryOC Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:27 am

AC, I get the feeling that this rant came after your second watch of the finale. Admittedly I maybe jumped the gun a bit when I said i wasn't totally satisfied with the episodes. When watching the first time, I feel that I was looking towards the end too much for the major cliffhanger which we are normally treated to in the season finales of past years. All season we were treated to a great mindf**k at the end of pretty much each episode, whether it be Ben being Sayid's employer, Aaron being in the custody of Kate, or Locke's infamous 'He said we have to move the Island.' These kind of things are why I love the show, and what keeps me so unflinchingly hooked.
Much like you said in reply to my earlier post, I too wasn't as infatuated with the idea of who was in the coffin. I am more interested in things like Widmore's motivation to capture Ben/get to the Island, who/what Jacob is, and what the 'incident' was. So for the final scene of the finale to be based around who was in the coffin was a bit deflating for me. It wrapped things up a tad too much in what's been a season of mindf**ks. Having said that, on second viewing I can appreciate what your saying, as in terms of being a tv programme i.e acting, pace, musical score the episode was first rate. There was Sawyer's act of heroism, which truly underlined how his character has turned full circle since the beginning of the show. Let's not forget this is the guy who wouldn't supply Shannon with an inhaler in series one even though she was struggling to breathe, and now he's throwing himself out of a helicopter so that the woman he loves can reach safety. Desmond and Penny's reunion was textbook romance, and hat's off to Yunjim Kim for that oscar winning grief scream upon Sun realising that Jin had been blown to pieces.

So i appreciate what your saying in the rant, as maybe us Lost fans have come to expect too much from the writers, but thats just testament to how great a job they've done of it so far.
GaryOC
GaryOC
Tailie

Number of posts : 39
Humor : Sarcastic/Slightly Black

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfsignmeup Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 am

Gary, he didn't have the inhaler!! Mad Very Happy But I agree with the rest of your post... and excellent rant rant AC! The finale was soooo good! I have no complaints. We are a picky bunch because we've been spoiled.
wtfsignmeup
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Humor : huh?

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

Back to top Go down

Post by chirpey1987 Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:44 am

i loved the final i thought it was really good, chill out AC you might popo a blood vessel lol
chirpey1987
chirpey1987
Others

Number of posts : 218
Humor : haha

Character sheet
Name: Amy-Louise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lateralus Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:31 pm

The only thing i didn't like about it was bringing real time travel, and not just desmond mind travel, into the story. It feels like such a lame cop-out. I was expecting something a little more original.
Lateralus
Lateralus
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 526
Humor : "I hate you Milkman Dan"

Character sheet
Name: Lateralus Finn

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyCocktail Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:14 pm

Ummm...who has been saying the finale was disappointing?
No one I know.

Just sayin'...
MollyCocktail
MollyCocktail
Others

Number of posts : 325
Humor : Insane

Character sheet
Name: Jacob

Back to top Go down

Post by vincentthedog Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:19 pm

I for one loved it and was not dissapointed at all, you can always find fault in things you love or you can take it as it comes and enjoy it. I choose to enjoy it. As much as we therorize and hope are therorys are right the writers run the show and we can simply whatch and wonder.
vincentthedog
vincentthedog
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 963
Humor : God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire

Character sheet
Name: Vlad Táltos

http://www.myspace.com/artmassage

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:55 pm

i loved it. I can't wait to see how they get back considering that the O6 and Ben don't know where it went, unless Benthan told them. And Sun, thrilling. What if she has gone all mad because she thinks Jin is dead, aligns herself with the bad guy, and then it turns out Jin is alive and now Widmore knows where the island is? Dun dun dun!! LOL!!
Hope
Hope
Others

Number of posts : 189
Humor : Don't play leap frog with a unicorn

Character sheet
Name: Illiana Vess

Back to top Go down

Post by knowitall Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:00 am

AC, I am so glad you ranted about this. Smile I was in no way disappointed with the finale. I have always been intrigued with the score and the acting keeps getting better. I am not sorry they answered so many questions. It just gives us more complicated things to think about now. Even with so many pieces to the puzzle revealed we still can't really see the whole picture. I love that. Anyway, thanks for standing up for Lost.
knowitall
knowitall
Flight Attendant

Number of posts : 9
Humor : Love it!

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHolyStickman Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:23 am

Wait a minute, wait. Are you guys seeing what I'm seeing. Did Angelo Comment just use a double negative in a sentence. He's not gonna live this one down. Twisted Evil

But seriously these are the types of posts I love to see in lost. Ones that make it seem better. Everyone else has sort of already said what I was going to say.

TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
TheHolyStickman
The Chosen Ones

Number of posts : 1115
Humor : Witty
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Character sheet
Name: Roger Gilmour

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:20 am

OK.... I read none of this b/c tonite is MY NIGHT. Husband won't let me watch with out him and we can't do commercials, so we saved the finale for this week when our 3 kids are out of town....total concentration. I am drinking red wine slow slow slow b/c I want to devour every second....will report back with opinion. TTLG killed all finalies. Seems like there is too much to wrap up to have that kinda BANG! Hope I am wrong. Rented Cloverfield for tom. This site rolls lt.com. Glad to be here!!! bounce Forgive spelling due to blondeness!
blonde
blonde
Others

Number of posts : 437
Humor : +1

Character sheet
Name: Tallulah-Raye

Back to top Go down

Post by puchita Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:04 pm

all i can say is the finale had me going crazy!! i was on the edge of my seat, heart a beaten fast, pulling my hair......

Oh god how do they all get together?!

is he really going to blow up the ship?

jin jin jin!

ok now they are all together, but what about desmond?!

locke?!!!

phew - it had me going. good tv man, good tv. we can nick pick at it as we always do with ALL episodes. poor quality shots here and there, Miles crap line "what do i mean?" - but that doesnt make it a bad episode. LOVED IT LOVED IT....
puchita
puchita
Others

Number of posts : 122

Back to top Go down

Post by blonde Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:38 pm

puchita....I am with you.....It had me at the edge of my seat. Tons of action, enough answers...good tv.
blonde
blonde
Others

Number of posts : 437
Humor : +1

Character sheet
Name: Tallulah-Raye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content