Losties! Theories and Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Claire Dead?

+16
Hope
eda
wtfsignmeup
Obscure
MyStarbuckHatesLost
So_Lost
DCLostie
tracker
AngeloComet
StitchExp626
Lojozz
Lost-Mosh
SunburnedPenguin
MollyCocktail
Catfish
JimReaper
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Claire Dead? Empty Is Claire Dead?

Post by JimReaper Tue May 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Could Claire have actually died when Keamys team fired a rocket into her house?
I'm not a fan of the idea of ghosts in Lost and will be mad as hell if I find out I've waited all this time to find out that the island is 'the junction between the spirit world and the real world', but its looking increasingly likely.

Anyway Claires appearance in Jacobs cabin got me thinking, Christians there and hes dead, so why not Claire?

What I am suggesting is that when Sawyer went through the wreckage of the house and found 'Claire' what he actually found was another manifestation like Christian. We've seen from things such as Christian picking up baby Aaron, Yemi taking his cross chain back from Eko and things of that kind, these all show us that the island manifestations can influence physical objects.

So if one of them wanted to blend in with real people then nobody would know the difference if they didn't know the real one was dead.

I think the reason Claire went with Christian might be because Christian told her that she is actually dead just like he is.
JimReaper
JimReaper
Tailie

Number of posts : 38
Humor : Yes.
Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Is Claire Dead? Empty Re: Is Claire Dead?

Post by Catfish Tue May 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Personally, I believe her to be dead, or somewhere in-between if that makes any sense, no real proof, other than the way Miles (I see and hear dead people) was acting toward her, comments and such, and acting more or less in awe of her with all the creepy staring. It might also explain her indifference in leaving Aaron in the care of a friggin' tree.... Very Happy

Catfish
Flight Attendant

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyCocktail Tue May 13, 2008 11:12 pm

My best guess at this point is that she is between worlds.
Neither living or dead.
::shrugs::
MollyCocktail
MollyCocktail
Others

Number of posts : 325
Humor : Insane

Character sheet
Name: Jacob

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Tue May 13, 2008 11:53 pm

Im really swaying more towards this idea too. I thought at first perhaps she was just let in on a little (or mahoosive!) secret, hence the knowing grin and not worrying about Aaron, but this is starting to make a lot more sense (that she is dead).

So the only question left is......is she a smokie manifestation or the spirit of herself?
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Number of posts : 1411
Humor : You'll get used to it :)
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Character sheet
Name: Kudos Manilla

http://www.losties.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JimReaper Wed May 14, 2008 12:02 am

I'm not sure what the 'manifestations' are I used to think that they were like you say, created by the smoke monster, especially after seeing what happened right before Eko got killed but these days I'm not so sure. I just pray they are not ghosts!
JimReaper
JimReaper
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Wed May 14, 2008 12:21 am

JimReaper wrote:.......I just pray they are not ghosts!

Me too...that would be so disapointing!
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JimReaper Wed May 14, 2008 12:27 am

Yeah, theres way too many ghost stories around.
JimReaper
JimReaper
Tailie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lost-Mosh Wed May 14, 2008 1:41 am

I'm neither feeling spooky... +1 (just an expression)
Lost-Mosh
Lost-Mosh
Tailie

Number of posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Lojozz Wed May 14, 2008 2:19 am

I still struggle to believe Claire is dead. As AC pointed out over at LT's we saw her breastfeeding Aaron and that just brings a friends quote to mind, 'once more dark lord I nuzzle at your smokey teat'!

Time for bed me thinks.
Lojozz
Lojozz

Number of posts : 388

Character sheet
Name: Joe

http://www.prcanj.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Wed May 14, 2008 3:25 am

No I do not think that she is dead, I do believe that she might have been drugged, with the same drug that was given to her when she was taken by Ethan!
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AngeloComet Wed May 14, 2008 10:12 am

We've got some reasons to think she is dead.

1. The house she was in exploded.
2. Miles made that remark about how she might not be alive.
3. Miles, being a 'ghost whisperer' (however we define it), was staring at Claire with peculiar interest.
4. Claire didn't want to linger around the graves of Danielle and Karl.
5. The definitely-dead Christian Shephard appeared and she went off with him.
6. She was in Jacob's cabin, which disappears and reappears, and appeared for all the world happy and carefree despite having left her son in the jungle alone.
7. We've seen 'ghosts' in Lost before, and since Christian was shown holding Aaron that doesn't discount Claire from being a more physical manifestation of the same phenomena.

Now, looking at the above statements, I think the conclusion that Claire is dead and is now a 'ghost' isn't all that compelling. Most of those points can be explained rationally. (Except for the Jacob's Cabin one - that's a real pickle. Though we have seen Walt appear and disappear in impossible ways and no one figures that he is dead!)

I go with the idea that she has obviously been let in to some greater secret. Perhaps she has been told about the fate of Aaron and, knowing leaving him turns out the best for him, was happy to do so. . .?

Lastly, as well as the 'dead Claire breast feeding living Aaron' element, which I think we can all agree is rather unpleasant, we also have the fact that Sawyer didn't find a body. He found 'dead Claire', and then took her and let her have a lie down, carrying injuries, when they hid in the house whilst Keamy's siege took place? Meanwhile Claire's real body remains in the rubble of the house?

I'm not buying until I see her actually dead body.
AngeloComet
AngeloComet
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 626
Humor : Dry and witty. Like my women.

Character sheet
Name: Jack

http://www.angelocomets-lost-place.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lojozz Wed May 14, 2008 12:07 pm

There seems to be an idea that perhaps Claire has been let in on a secret. My problem with this, the bigger the secret the more likely Claire is to disbelieve and not leave Aaron, the smaller the secret then why would she leave Aaron. The only was I can see around it, that would convince her, in the timeframe, is that she was shown compelling evidence that Aaron would be ok and leaving him would be for the best. What was she shown? I dunno, the future?
Lojozz
Lojozz

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tracker Wed May 14, 2008 1:49 pm

The biggest problem I have with her "being dead" is leaving Aaron. I could not imagine my wife leaving my daughter in a jungle for any reason. This, however is a TV show, so who knows!
tracker
tracker
Others

Number of posts : 237
Humor : Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns.......Archie Bunker

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Wed May 14, 2008 2:39 pm

I think its fair to suggest never assume someone is dead unless we actually see their death as we did with Boone, Shannon etc.

Im not 100% convinced Christian is dead as we never saw his death....ok we saw his body when Jack identified him, but perhaps the Nicki and Paulo episode was to introduce us to the paralysing spider as a possibilty? And then we saw an empty coffin. Not a hard stunt to pull off when you measure it against the fake plane.

Anyway, im continously swaying between yes she is dead and no shes not....its a toughy!
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by DCLostie Wed May 14, 2008 5:41 pm

I don't think she is dead. I think that in fact she was let in on a great truth or shown something magnificent. Remember Locke, "Saw the eye of the Island, and it was beautiful". Whatever he saw planted the seed in him that eventually convinced him to sacrfice Boone, Kill Naomi, Blow up countless hatches and subs, and do whatever nasty thing the island or its agents tell him to do. The power of such an image or truth, combined with the trust and optimism that would accompany Claire reuniting with her father, would lead me to believe that Claire would let Aaron go to fulfill a prophesy or sorts. She seems pretty brainwashed or mezmerised, in a state where she believes that abandonning Aaron was the best thing for both her and her son.
DCLostie
DCLostie
Flight Attendant

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lojozz Wed May 14, 2008 5:49 pm

DC Yeah i was saying the same kind of thing, She would have to nave been shown something pretty amazing to leave Aaron. Even if she is dead she still seemed to have her 'mothering' instincts. I'd love to see what Christian showed her.
Lojozz
Lojozz

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by So_Lost Wed May 14, 2008 7:50 pm

I don't get how everyone can be SO SURE Christian is dead, dead, dead, and running all over the island, and yet, not believe that Claire could be dead, doing the same thing. Do you not see the contradictions in your argument?

I am going to say this - get ready, if you get grossed out. Just kidding. But, I am a mom who breastfed my kids and I am a mom who would NEVER leave one of my children EVER - stress this - EVER leave one of my children ANYWHERE despite ANYTHING ANYONE told me or showed me, at least in the course of a couple of hours. Despite the possibility of time travel proving whatever I am being shown.

NEVER.

I would never leave my kids. End of story. Can anyone tell I am passionate on this subject? Is anyone else here a mom (or dad) of small kids? If so, you know what I am saying, I am sure.

So, either Claire is dead, or she is being drugged/brainwashed/mindcontrolled, or the thing we are seeing is NOT Claire.

Ok, sorry about the rant, but I am a Mama Bear, as you can tell. The breastfeeding thing is either her spirit's maternal instinct (if she is dead) or it was just another trick to continue the belief that she is alive (if it is something else). And please, don't get freaked out about the breastfeeding thing. I don't think that was meant to be about breastfeeding. I think it was meant to show us, through Miles, that something about "Claire" is not right.

p.s. my daughter's name is Claire. Yikes. queen
So_Lost
So_Lost
Lostie

Number of posts : 73
Humor : My Crazy Kids

Back to top Go down

Post by StitchExp626 Thu May 15, 2008 3:13 am

So_Lost, remember the scene from Season Two when Mr Happy (Tom) had Kate hostage and he told Jack that "This is our island, and the only reson you're living on it, is cause we let you!" He also told Jack that Michael would never find them.

Later on we saw this scene from another perspective and we saw that at this point they had already captured Michael who was with Alex and the hooded Kate only a short distance awy from that spot.

I believe that Claire did not leave Aaron abandoned in the jungle, but I think that we will see this scene again when they fill us in on the Claire story and I believe that they will show us Claire hiding somewhere very close by until Sawyer comes and picks up the baby. Only once she knew the baby was in safe hands would she have gone off with Christian.

I agree with So_lost, she would never (alive or dead) just abandon baby Aaron in the jungle.

Stitch
StitchExp626
StitchExp626

Number of posts : 794

Character sheet
Name: Steve

http://lost-stitchexp626.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by So_Lost Thu May 15, 2008 7:15 am

Stitch - you think so? I hadn't thought of that...now you ruined my whole mommy-rant. You have a point, for sure!

But one thing still bugs me, which was her behavior in the cabin. Wasn't she all weird and relaxed with a Cheshire cat grin? What was that?
So_Lost
So_Lost
Lostie

Number of posts : 73
Humor : My Crazy Kids

Back to top Go down

Post by MyStarbuckHatesLost Fri May 16, 2008 4:03 pm

I'm gonna have to go with dead on this one for now. Exploding houses do nasty things to flesh and bone.

Or, to paraphrase the words of the producers, she may be among the Undead.

I have no idea what that means, perhaps a state of existence between living and dead.

However, though I see it as very, very unlikely, we haven't considered the possiblity of Claire dying AFTER she leaves with Christian but BEFORE she is seen again in the cabin.
MyStarbuckHatesLost
MyStarbuckHatesLost
On Jacobs List

Number of posts : 681
Humor : check out TheFlatSpin.com and you'll be sorry you asked that.

http://www.theflatspin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SunburnedPenguin Fri May 16, 2008 4:10 pm

She could have survived the explosion only to die in her sleep from head injuries while Sawyer and Miles slept....she said she had a headache! This would make sense as she then "woke up dead" and saw Christian who probably had to explain to her that she is dead etc..taking her into the world of "undead"

Doesnt explain Miles' fascination with her, but its a possibility....maybe he can sense impending death....or perhaps he could see Christian hanging around her waiting for her to die?
SunburnedPenguin
SunburnedPenguin
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Obscure Sat May 17, 2008 8:13 am

Yes that Nicki and Paolo episode had to be in there for a reason- I think you're right, SP, that Christian could have pulled a stunt but Claire...

Or- here's a far out idea that's got me thinking out loud- is Christian some higher being (not a mortal) that Claire also is (as she's his daughter) and therefore Jack is also but he doesn't know it yet and Aaron is too. Maybe this is the secret Claire knows that makes her all serene and doe-eyed in the cabin- that this family line is safe from harm?

Last edited by Obscure on Sat May 17, 2008 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Obscure
Tailie

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfsignmeup Sat May 17, 2008 12:25 pm

I don't want Claire to be dead, but Miles behaviour and comments after her house exploded seemed to indicate that maybe she wasn't quite one of the living anymore. (probably a red herring though)?

Claire in Jacobs cabin had the same look on her face as Cindy the airhostess had when she was talking to Jack at the Hydra..like they knew something that the Losties haven't figured out yet?

Dead, alive or undead..I'm undecided but I can't wait to see where that story will go next.
wtfsignmeup
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Humor : huh?

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

Back to top Go down

Post by wtfsignmeup Sat May 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Obscure wrote: is Christian some higher being (not a mortal) that Claire also is (as she's his daughter) and therefore Jack is also but he doesn't know it yet and Aaron is too. Maybe this is the secret Claire knows that makes her all serene and doe-eyed in the cabin- that this family line is safe from harm?

I love this
wtfsignmeup
wtfsignmeup
Others

Number of posts : 354
Humor : huh?

Character sheet
Name: Merrick

Back to top Go down

Post by eda Sat May 17, 2008 12:49 pm

[quote="wtfsignmeup"]I don't want Claire to be dead, but Miles behaviour and comments after her house exploded seemed to indicate that maybe she wasn't quite one of the living anymore. quote]

I definitely agree. The only Claire who can sit so cozily in the corner without her baby, is a dead Claire. affraid Plus the writers confirmed that Christian, Nikki, Paulo, Mikhail are all officially dead.
eda
eda
Others

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next